• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ayce's progression to sub-10 on 3x3. | Big Cubes! |

Ayce

Annoucning: BIG N' BLIND SEPTEMBER (original name ikik)
Its not a competition, just going to dedicate the entire month to everything 3BLD or 5x5 and up. I just want to see improvement in these areas and I believe this is the best move for me.

Ayce

Need help with memo, how am I supposed to do it? I’ve been putting corners into words and edges into audio but I always forget it, I end up forgetting it the moment I put on the blindfold. Jack Cai talked about “even reviewing” and “grouping” How does everyone else do it?

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Need help with memo, how am I supposed to do it? I’ve been putting corners into words and edges into audio but I always forget it, I end up forgetting it the moment I put on the blindfold. Jack Cai talked about “even reviewing” and “grouping” How does everyone else do it?
For corners I use the roman room/memory palace technique, since my desk is right beside a staircase, I'll put my first letter pair words on the first step, the next on the landing, and so on and so forth. Idk if that's the best way to do it, but it works well for me.

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
YouTube
Visit Channel
At your level (judging from previous posts) I would not recommend using audio edges yet. Ideally, you want to split everything into letter pairs. So BAGIPTKSH on corners would become BA GI PT KS H. For consistency's sake, you want to have a letter pair to word conversion list prepared. This takes a lot of time to make though, and I don't think it's worth the effort yet. Just come up with words on the fly. I use Dutch words in my solves but for this example you could think of BA = baby, GI = gift, PT = pet, KS = kiss. H, the parity target, can just be memorized as H on its own, since one letter is not too hard to remember i suppose. Now make a story out of it: A baby has been given a gift, it is a pet, and because he is so happy with it, he gives the pet a kiss. To make memorizing the story even easier, you can use the so-called method of loci. Timothy Goh has a cool tutorial on it on youtube.
Just use words or edges as well until you are sub 1.
As for the 'forgetting it the moment I put on the blindfold', make sure to review the memo once without looking at the cube. Then, if you aren't sure, you can check afterwards if you were right or not.

Really, it's all about practise. I used to find this hard as well, but after doing thousands of attempts, you start memorizing the corners without a story, just a random set of words, which can only work if the memory is short term. This is also why audio edges is only applicable when you are around sub 1. Anything above that is just too much time to retain audio.

If you need any more help or if this is just unclear (I really don't know if this explanation is a mess or not) just ask it.

Oh and funny side note: translating my hypothetical Dutch story for BAGIPTKSH, it would be a baby putting a watering can in his cap and then eating some cheese.

Ayce

Big Update! its not actually big but rather the cubes I was- ah forget it...

Only practicing big cubes for the past week and a half has helped my times pretty tremendously, here's a status update.

4x4
I know that 4x4 isn't technically a big cube, its a refresher to long big cubes. Tons of sub-1 singles for 4x4, and I'm starting to average low 1:00s,
Mo3: 1:01.99
Ao5: 1:02.03
Ao12: 1:04.82
Ao100: 1:13.11

5x5
Single: 1:59.47
Mo3: 2:16.23
Ao5: 2:22.95
Ao12: 2:33.35
5x5 feels so small after practicing 7x7

6x6
Literally broke I kid you not :D
I know I said 6x6 and 7x7 will be combined but that's just not practical now.
It broke, I don't know what else to say.

7x7
Single: 7:39.94
Mo3: 8:05.17
Ao5: 8:14.70
Ao12: 8:33.98
I'm still figuring out how to do L2C without commutators.

3BLD
2 sucesses! :D

4BLD
The algs are so hard...
It's crazy, I feel like I'm scrambling it but then the last 2 moves circles everything back.

Ayce

Small Update!
Got some questions about big cubes, but here's my records.

Clock:
Ao12: 8.16
Ao1000: 9.63

4x4:
Inching closer towards sub-1 averages.
Mo3: 1:00.52
Ao100: 1:12.50

3BLD:
Accuracy going up! Don't feel like reporting records as I don't put in DNFs in my session as it would clog it up too much XD.

5x5:
Single: 1:57.16
Mo3: 2:07.72
Ao5: 2:12.22
Ao12: 2:20.69
Ao100: 2:46.83
Alright so I got my splits for 5x5 solves, tell me what I need to work on and how I should do it. I use redux. I did three solves (all with parity), here are the means. Let me know if I missed a step or I should break it down further. I average low 16 on 3x3 for perspective.
First 2 CentersAll Centers FinishedAll Edges Finished3x3FINAL TIMES (mo3)
16.7429.451:14.0327.452:32.95

7x7:
Single: 6:54.85
Mo3: 7:32.26
Ao5: 7:48.81
Ao12: 8:20.13
Same thing as 5x5, redux, average low 16 on 3x3. I'm learning how to not use comms for L2C and I can do it up to the last 2 outer bars.
First 2 CentersAll Centers FinishedAll Edges Finished3x3FINAL TIMES (mo3)
1:26.302:30.042:53.6328.637:18.61
All being said, I enjoy this event. I feel that I would like 6x6 more but this feels relaxing. It also feels much more natural as I have large hands.

Final Notes:
Another update! Going to continue big cubes, still saving up for 6x6. Thanks to whoever reads all of this <3