• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Average of 5- Tell Me What You Think

dabmasta

This is my first time on video, and I captured what I am averaging atm.

Any help/tips would be appreciated, but not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

hawkmp4

I'm roughly the same time. I use 2LOLL and 1LPLL.
It seems that your recognition/lookahead is what's the biggest thing you can improve on. You execute a lot faster than me, but you have really big pauses in between F2L pairs and your PLL recognition is much slower than mine. So in the end it evens out.

dabmasta

I'm roughly the same time. I use 2LOLL and 1LPLL.
It seems that your recognition/lookahead is what's the biggest thing you can improve on. You execute a lot faster than me, but you have really big pauses in between F2L pairs and your PLL recognition is much slower than mine. So in the end it evens out.
Probably should have pointed that I use 3LLL

I've noticed that too. I'm going to start using a metronome, hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the feedback.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Slow down your F2L, a lot. You should watch your videos and take notes on them before you ask us for help, it would save everybody time. Notice how you execute an F2L pair at a decent rate (decent enough that if you could do that while having good lookahead you'd be near 15s or so), but your pauses long take up that time. Slow yourself down, find another pair before you insert the current one.

Can you solve each pair blind? Find a pair, close your eyes, solve the pair. If you did it right, find another pair, close yor eyes, etc. This will help you get the F2L into muscle memory (I'm not sure if you learned all algs or did intuitive, but ultimately it turns into muscle memory after you've figured out how to do it). While executing each pair you can search for another pair. The point is to not watch your current pair because you're worry about misplacement (don't worry, it happens to everybody, just more often to people like me than the sub15 people :p).

Your PLL recog can use some work too. Don't worry though, I'm near sub20 and my PLL is about as bad as yours lol. Practice your PLL algs a bit too. You struggle sometimes, and your moves aren't fluent. You do a couple turns then a U2 flick, couple turns, etc. It doesn't look like you lock up, just looks like you haven't learned how to let it all flow yet.

Also work on doing the cross blindfolded. Your first pair find time is really slow. You solve the cross but you waste a good 2 seconds on finding your first pair. I'm horrible at being able to do the cross while tracking an F2L pair but I can usually find one while doing the cross, just not good at tracking it. Do a good 20 scrambles of doing only the cross, blindfolded. It is rough at first but doing a healthy amount will make it a lot easier. Take advantage of pre-built pairs too. Let's say you have the red/blue pair in the FU (pointing to the right face) row and the White/Blue cross piece is at RU. Instead of blinding doing an R2 to put the cross piece in, get the pair away from the cross piece so you have an immediate easy first pair. (U, L U L' then R2 for the cross piece, now your first pair is at LU row pointing at F).

If anybody has a better away of inserting the prebuilt pair adjacent to the cross piece let me know, I will take the 3 wasteful moves for an easy first pair anyday :p But if there is an easier way, I'd certainly like to hear it!

Edit -

Here is what I was talking about with the cross/ pre-built pair:

Instead of doing an R2, do U L U' L' R2 then you preserved that pair.

Another neat case:

Instead of doing an R2, do U L U' L' to split the pair from the cross, then instead of R2 do R U2 R and you have an easy x-cross :D:D

You can do these with the mirrors as well, it's simple things like this you need to pick up on and don't waste time pausing!

Last edited:

dabmasta

Thanks a ton. I don't think I've actually seen somebody on the forum give somebody this much help. Now that I watch myself, I agree with you on every aspect.

I learned intuitive f2l, but I kind of made some algs that are fast for me to execute. I've always thought slowing down f2l was for when you where above 30 secs. But I will take every word of your advice.

About the pre-built pair thing. I usually do what you told me to do, but it was on camera, and I didn't want to screw up.

Im very impressed by your reply. Thank you a ton.

VIDEO

Dude...it's not that hard. Quote my post to see how I did this.
Thanks, I realized what I was doing wrong.

EDIT- Also, what time should f2l be for a 20 second average

Last edited:

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're welcome. I don't usually give such good feedback on my replies, I was just really bored lol. I honestly get tired of seeing people ask how to get faster, as there are so many threads and guides already out there on it. I'm just sometimes in the mood to actually help people a lot.

Your last question is hard to answer. 12 second cross + f2l could get you sub20 average depending on how fast your LL is. I have a huge problem with the LL. My LL can be anywhere from 5 seconds to 13 seconds. I would like to consistently bring it down to about 7 seconds. If you do the math, you'd see that the sub10 people have to have 7 second or less LL times and to keep it sub10 F2L would have to be 3 seconds or less. I'm guessing their LL is more often closer to 5 seconds or so.

Go look up things like road to sub15, how to get faster with fridrich method, etc. The wiki is a great place as well.