• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Atlantic Open 2015 (Nova Scotia, Canada)

WCA
2011STAI01
This will mark the FIRST official competition in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm super excited to announce this and I hope you will be able to join us!

Registration: http://www.canadiancubing.com/Event/AO2015/Registration

Date: Saturday, March 28, 2015
Address: 6136 University Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Venue: Dalhousie University (Student Union Building - Room 224)
Organizers: canadianCUBING, Micah Stairs ([email protected])
Delegate: Micah Stairs
Events:
  • 2x2x2
  • 3x3x3
  • 3x3x3 One Handed
  • 4x4x4
  • 5x5x5
  • Pyaminx
  • Megaminx
  • 3x3x3 Blindfolded
  • Skewb
  • Square-1

Cost: Registration is FREE! Dalhousie University is covering all costs of the event.
Parking: Parking is free (there is a parking garage close to the Student Union Building).
Prizes: The top three placements will be recognized for their achievements, including certificates, and puzzles for first place (in 2x2 and 3x3, the top 3 will get puzzles).
Schedule Registration begins at 9:00am. The full schedule will be released after registration closes.

Registration: http://www.canadiancubing.com/Event/AO2015/Registration

I look forward to seeing you there! Let me know if you have any further questions.
Micah

Last edited:

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I live in Nova Scotia :D about 1 hour away from Dalhousie. I haven't registered yet though. I'm bringing a friend from my area who hasn't competed before to this one, he's really working on 3BLD!
I may have a chance at podium in 2x2 this time after I finish learning CLL and actually lube my lingpo.

WCA
2011STAI01
I live in Nova Scotia :D about 1 hour away from Dalhousie. I haven't registered yet though. I'm bringing a friend from my area who hasn't competed before to this one, he's really working on 3BLD!
I may have a chance at podium in 2x2 this time after I finish learning CLL and actually lube my lingpo.

That's awesome! It's looking like we could actually have a really good turnout! :) Good luck on the 2x2!

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome. I hope everything goes well and you have good turnout for competition and also spectators. I probably won't be going anywhere but NRC... possibly I could travel more when I'm an empty-nester... like... in ~17 years?!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
There are officially more new competitors signed up at this competition than people who have already competed XD I'm guessing theres a lot of Dalhousie University students who will be competing. Only a week of registration and 17 competitors... It'd be pretty cool if we had like 40 people sign up or something (Although I don't know how that'd work timewise). Having it at Dal probably means some spectators as well. Universities are just great places to host competions.
Although I've noticed a lot of the New Brunswick regulars haven't signed up yet, I know they still have like over a month but I'd really like to see some more familliar faces there, as well as new cubers too :p

WCA
2011STAI01
There are officially more new competitors signed up at this competition than people who have already competed XD I'm guessing theres a lot of Dalhousie University students who will be competing. Only a week of registration and 17 competitors... It'd be pretty cool if we had like 40 people sign up or something (Although I don't know how that'd work timewise). Having it at Dal probably means some spectators as well. Universities are just great places to host competions.
Although I've noticed a lot of the New Brunswick regulars haven't signed up yet, I know they still have like over a month but I'd really like to see some more familliar faces there, as well as new cubers too :p

Yes, registrations are coming in fast! We're up to 21 now, and there's still a number of regulars I fully expect to be there that haven't registered yet (John-Ryan, Janel, Barry, Alex Comeau, etc.). Normally we don't have this many people registered within a week though! I wouldn't be surprised if this was our biggest competition yet (AO2013 was 32 but included many people from Quebec/Ontario, AO2014 was 27, AOF2014 was 26).

It's definitely nice that this competition is free!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I'm working on getting another friend from my school to sign up now too. He has a few different cubes he could enter with.
Right now, if nobody else has gotten any better at it, I'm the #1 pyraminxer right now XD but I'm willing to bet Liam is at least Sub-7 now, and Janel and Aaron have improved.

WCA
2011STAI01
I'm working on getting another friend from my school to sign up now too. He has a few different cubes he could enter with.
Right now, if nobody else has gotten any better at it, I'm the #1 pyraminxer right now XD but I'm willing to bet Liam is at least Sub-7 now, and Janel and Aaron have improved.

Awesome! I hope he can make it. We're up to 28 registered competitors now, 1 month left! Pyraminx should be interesting, best of luck!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Can't believe John-Ryan hasn't signed up yet. Somebody should tell him about the competition in case he hasn't seen yet :p.

One question: My blindfold, aka sleeping mask, looks similar to what Antoine Cantin wore, but they arent very tight on the bottom (As in, If I wanted to I could look down.) Is this going to be ok for competition because, it that why we hold the piece of paper overtop of the cube while solving? I guess if another cuber used something of the sort it should be ok, but just want to make sure.

And I just found out that Vishwa Patel, the guy from india whose going to the competition, is actually the guy who started DALCube, a cubing club at dalhousie university. Is that club the ones helping organize the competition? anyway, pretty cool! :p

WCA
2011STAI01
Can't believe John-Ryan hasn't signed up yet. Somebody should tell him about the competition in case he hasn't seen yet :p.

One question: My blindfold, aka sleeping mask, looks similar to what Antoine Cantin wore, but they arent very tight on the bottom (As in, If I wanted to I could look down.) Is this going to be ok for competition because, it that why we hold the piece of paper overtop of the cube while solving? I guess if another cuber used something of the sort it should be ok, but just want to make sure.

And I just found out that Vishwa Patel, the guy from india whose going to the competition, is actually the guy who started DALCube, a cubing club at dalhousie university. Is that club the ones helping organize the competition? anyway, pretty cool! :p

Don't worry, John-Ryan knows about the competition, he's planning to come! Just hasn't decided which events he wants to do yet. (I just didn't want to crush your dreams about pyra :p)

As for the blindfold, how loose is it? I double-checked the regulations, and all I found was:
B1b+) RECOMMENDATION Blindfolds should be checked by the WCA Delegate before use in the competition.
Therefore, you have done the correct thing by asking. If the blindfold is extremely loose is there way you could make it tighter (maybe using some tape or something)? I do plan on bringing my extra blindfold just in case, but you're right that is why we holding a piece of cardboard/paper overtop the cube. I would imagine most competitors would be able to find a way to peek through their blindfolded if they tried hard enough.

Yes, Vishwa is the venue host for this competition. He's the one who helped make this competition free, since it's sponsored by the DALCubing Society! This competition is going to have quite a few perks I think! For one, we are giving away more prizes, and we have some really nice door prizes this time too!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Don't worry, John-Ryan knows about the competition, he's planning to come! Just hasn't decided which events he wants to do yet. (I just didn't want to crush your dreams about pyra :p)

As for the blindfold, how loose is it? I double-checked the regulations, and all I found was:
B1b+) RECOMMENDATION Blindfolds should be checked by the WCA Delegate before use in the competition.
Therefore, you have done the correct thing by asking. If the blindfold is extremely loose is there way you could make it tighter (maybe using some tape or something)? I do plan on bringing my extra blindfold just in case, but you're right that is why we holding a piece of cardboard/paper overtop the cube. I would imagine most competitors would be able to find a way to peek through their blindfolded if they tried hard enough.

Yes, Vishwa is the venue host for this competition. He's the one who helped make this competition free, since it's sponsored by the DALCubing Society! This competition is going to have quite a few perks I think! For one, we are giving away more prizes, and we have some really nice door prizes this time too!

You aren't crushing my dreams about pyra, I'm just looking for top 3 :p I could probably get third if I tried hard enough (I use LBL but I'm planning on learning some L4C before the comp). I was hoping john would come really, I want my friend to see lots of fast impressive cubers.

As for the blindfold, it's not way too loose and I was planning on tightening it anyway so it's ok.

And that's pretty cool. I bet they''ll host a pretty good comp!

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
I'm pretty fast. I can scramble a 3x3 faster than I can solve one. But I'll take my time to make sure I don't screw the scrambles up. I was thinking of volunteering however I saw it said on the website you couldn't volunteer for events you were involved in. But the puzzles I'm able to scramble are 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, pyraminx, BLD and one handed obviously, and I can easily figure out 5x5 before the competition (I have a 5x5 auchang, but it came REALLY slow out of the box so I'm not competing until I fix it somehow). So I can scramble for some of those while I'm not competing I won't scramble for skewb because I don't like the scrambling notation and I know I'd mess it up everytime :p

WCA
2011STAI01
I'm pretty fast. I can scramble a 3x3 faster than I can solve one. But I'll take my time to make sure I don't screw the scrambles up. I was thinking of volunteering however I saw it said on the website you couldn't volunteer for events you were involved in. But the puzzles I'm able to scramble are 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, pyraminx, BLD and one handed obviously, and I can easily figure out 5x5 before the competition (I have a 5x5 auchang, but it came REALLY slow out of the box so I'm not competing until I fix it somehow). So I can scramble for some of those while I'm not competing I won't scramble for skewb because I don't like the scrambling notation and I know I'd mess it up everytime :p

Actually 5x5 notation is identical to 4x4 notation (since there are any moves to affect the middle slice). If you decide to compete in 5x5 let me know, because otherwise, it will be super useful to have you as a scrambler especially for that event. What I do is put together a scrambling schedule which I will hand out the morning of. And I'll explain the basics of how we run the scrambling tables.

Yeah, it is important to take your time and make sure the scramble was correctly applied. Each scramble comes with a picture so you can double-check to make sure you did it right.

As for the volunteer form, that is seldomly used. Realistically, the best scramblers are the people who know how the solve the puzzles, and who are fast (which are the people actually competing in those events!).

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Actually 5x5 notation is identical to 4x4 notation (since there are any moves to affect the middle slice). If you decide to compete in 5x5 let me know, because otherwise, it will be super useful to have you as a scrambler especially for that event. What I do is put together a scrambling schedule which I will hand out the morning of. And I'll explain the basics of how we run the scrambling tables.

Yeah, it is important to take your time and make sure the scramble was correctly applied. Each scramble comes with a picture so you can double-check to make sure you did it right.

As for the volunteer form, that is seldomly used. Realistically, the best scramblers are the people who know how the solve the puzzles, and who are fast (which are the people actually competing in those events!).

Ok, I'll sign up to scramble for 5x5 on the volunteer sheet. So if I want to scramble for other events when for example I'm in group A of an event and signed up for the event, and I'm able to scramble for group B, should I sign up to scramble for that event or just sign up to scramble with the only event I'm not signed up for and not doing, 5x5?

WCA
2011STAI01
Ok, I'll sign up to scramble for 5x5 on the volunteer sheet. So if I want to scramble for other events when for example I'm in group A of an event and signed up for the event, and I'm able to scramble for group B, should I sign up to scramble for that event or just sign up to scramble with the only event I'm not signed up for and not doing, 5x5?

There's no need to fill out the volunteer form. The email will just get sent to me.

Now that you've told me which puzzles you are able to scramble, I will take that into consideration when I make up the scrambling schedule (after registration is finalized and I know which groups everyone is in)!