• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Are white and black considered colors?

bluedasher

Since there has been an on going debate about this overwhelming an existing thread I have taken it upon myself to create this thread to settle disputes going on pertaining to whether or not black and white are colors. If you have input please back it up with evidence. I do not want this thread to become a place for an argument I want quite the opposite. This thread is just for you guys to give your opinions on the subject and have a discussion about this. So, the big question...

Are black and white colors and if not should they be considered colors?

I personally believe that black is the absence of all colors in the spectrum and that white is the presence of all colors in the spectrum.

Please, leave your input. :)

Last edited:

Toad

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Code:
color: #000000;
color: #ffffff;
I'm a web designer, yes they are both colours.

Really: There is not a concrete definition of colour as it is treated so differently in different situations. Although "black" IS the absence of light, that does not mean it cannot be referred to as a "colour".

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Taken from the other thread:

Color:
1. the quality of an object or substance with respect to light reflected by the object [...]

Black:
1. absorbing light without reflecting any of the rays composing it.

By these definitions I would say reflecting no light (i.e. being black) counts as a possible way an object could reflect light (i.e. a color), just like how "zero" is a number, and "nobody" is a possible set of people.

In response to:

That's wikipedia, where anybody would edit that definition. By definition, black is not a color:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/color

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/black - though if you go all the way down to the 20th definition, color is used in the definition.

Now, if we compare 0 to black, then would white be compared to infinity? If so:

Though the definition of infinity has the word number, the definition of number suggests that infinity cannot be a number. It seems that zero can be considered a "sum" or a "total count," but something infinite could not be totaled.

qqwref: By definition I disagree, though I do see your point. This article though explains how zero is a number: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/63315.html

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's wikipedia, where anybody would edit that definition.

First time that page mentions black: "achromatic colours such as white or black"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/black - though if you go all the way down to the 20th definition, color is used in the definition.

"all the way down to the 20th definition"? You mean the very first noun definition?

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now, if we compare 0 to black, then would white be compared to infinity?
Nope. It's not at all the same idea as infinity. White = reflecting all the light = yet another possible way an object can reflect light.

Since this is a new topic I feel I should quote this from the previous:
As long as most people would say "black" is an acceptable answer to the question "What color is this?", how can you say black isn't a color? The same applies to white.

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
First thing I need to say is change the heading from color to colour.

Dictionary.reference;
Colour:the quality of an object or substance with respect to light reflected by the object, usually determined visually by measurement of hue, saturation, and brightness of the reflected light; saturation or chroma; hue.

Black is something that absorb all primary colours and White reflects all primary colours.

If someone says what colour cube do you have? 99% of cubers won't be able to answer that question technically.

KYLOL

First thing I need to say is keep the heading as color.

Dictionary.reference;

Color : The quality of an object or substance with respect to light reflected by the object, usually determined visually by measurement of hue, saturation, and brightness of the reflected light; saturation or chroma; hue.

Edit : I know people enjoy these debates, but it's pretty obvious white and black are colors. They say so in Harry Potter. Also, I think it is simpler to just call them colors and leave it alone.

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You have a pretty useless definition of the word "colour" if it doesn't contain white and black.
By the way: what's the probability that so many people in the same thread have a broken "u" key?

Zubon

Sure, black and white may have different physics than the other colors in the spectrum, but our eyes detect no light or a mixture of all colors and our brain gives these states labels we call color.

When you see no light or mixed light, your brain labels these as the colors black and white. When you see other frequencies, you brain labels them as other colors.

In the real world, black and white are for all practical purposes color. I think we can all agree that that is the general acceptance. When you buy paint, you can get black and white. So yes, they are colors just like the others. They just have a more interesting story behind them.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

How so? At most, if it's a protected page, you submit a request for it. At that point an administrator can change it. So you can pull a technicality on "anybody" if it is a protected page, but the point is that it is a definition from a person, not an actual resource (such as a dictionary).

You mean the very first noun definition?

I don't see how this matters? Colors are referred to in adjective forms all the time.

The wikipedia article itself states that "in practice it can be considered a color" which suggests it is not actually a color (or it wouldn't be only in practice).

qqwref: Just because "most people" say it's a color, does not make it a color. Most people refer to clear as a color as well, but clear as (hopefully we can agree) is actually colorless. Yes, reflecting all light is a way to reflect light, but if you don't reflect any light, how can you consider that a way to reflect light? I see the purpose as a property or such, but we cannot say it reflects when it quite clear in the definition that it does not.

irontwig: There is a handful of words spelled differently in "American English" rather than just English. Favourite is another example of this, and ironically enough it comes up as being misspelled with my spell-checker.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I was taught in secondary school that black and white are not technically colours, but then again I was taught a lot of false stuff back then (for example the orbits of electrons).
They are clearly both colours and Chris makes an excellent point with regards to probability.
I have no idea why Fatboy would jump straight from black being 0 to white being ∞.
It seems logical until you think about it for about a nano second.

I prefer the colour vs color debate.
'American English' is English with a few words spelt differently and very little else.
Why bother changing anything at all?

Last edited:

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
irontwig: There is a handful of words spelled differently in "American English" rather than just English. Favourite is another example of this, and ironically enough it comes up as being misspelled with my spell-checker.

My favourite colour is grey. I wonder if that made sense to Americans :p (For what it's worth it's actually orange.)

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh dear gawd, people like to complicate things.

Technically black and white aren't colours but it's convenient to call them such, end of story.

If you want a really good analogy jump to sound, black would be silence, white would be static (white noise). Colour is defined by the frequency of light, in the same way that a musical note is defined by the frequency of the sound wave... you don't listen to static and say "what note is that?" it's not a note, it's all frequencies jumbled up... just the same as white light.
For anyone saying "how can I see black then if there is no light?" - you're not seeing black you're seeing dark dark grey, cube's aren't really true black or white, it's just convenient to call them such.

:fp