• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any suggestions for getting F2L faster or more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzicman82

Hello all,

So, I've been cubing for about a month now. Started out with a store-bought Rubik's brand, and learned the algorithms in the included booklet. Got my time using that method down to an average of 90 seconds. That's without any real finger tricks.

I purchased a DIY Kit from Rubik's, and I'd say my cube is fairly loose. I can cut corners decently, but it's not so loose that I pop pieces.

I then started looking up cubing methods and advise on the web, and found dozens of sites offering advice, many of which are completely different from each other. The one thing I gathered was that to get faster, I should probably learn F2L. So, I've been at it for about a week now.

I've watched dozens of videos and read a bunch of sites on F2L tutorials. I fully understand the concept, but have yet to memorize all of the algorithms. Is this really necessary for F2L? I can identify a pair and know what to do with it pretty quickly, but maybe not quickly enough.

My current cross+F2L average is something around 50 seconds. I am currently combining F2L with the top layer algorithms from the beginner method for a total solve average of 80 seconds, with around 1 minute being my best.

Any pointers on what to do next? How would you all rate my progress? I find it hard to believe that memorizing algorithms really makes it much faster if I can snap to the correct moves to make something happen. If you suggest memorizing algorithms, I'm curious as to how all of you think it helps. I've started to incorporate finger tricks, but my difficulty there is that I am not precise enough and the cube tends to lock up on my next turn.

Oh, and before they are recommended, I already watched the videos on how to do F2L slowly and look ahead.

Thanks in advance!

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're doing fine.
what I suggest is that during F2l practice is that
-Practice SLOW. One move/second, w/e. Use a metronome.
-Recognize cases and know what to do each time.
-Set up your cases if you get stuck.
-Ask someone bette than me.
For your cross, watch badmephisto's videos.
No.
If you haven't watched badmephisto's videos, do so NOW! :)

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooooh, Rubik's DIY is nice.

Sometimes, getting faster is as simple as just turning faster.
Sometimes, that's all it takes.

Algorithms are okay, they help, but ehhhhh.
They're so tiring and boring to memorize. d:
Personally, I don't know many myself.

I just know about....300-500 of them....is all.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At first you may learn some of the cases as algorithms, but with practice you'll figure out how they work and it'll come intuitive F2L.
When I started F2L I was also around your speed, you will realise your F2L times will decrease quite quickly.
Once you think your've mastered basic F2L and don't have any trouble, learn how to make use of empty slots and maby other tricks like keyhole.

Status
Not open for further replies.