• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any info on the origins of the 4x4?

calekewbs

WCA
2011PUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I'm making a website in my web design class about cubes and I can't really find any background info on the 4x4. It would be cool to include (and interesting for me to know). So any help is great! thanks!

miniGOINGS

"The Rubik's Revenge (also known as the Master Cube) is the 4×4×4 version of Rubik's Cube. Invented by Péter Sebestény, the Rubik's Revenge was nearly called the Sebestény Cube until a somewhat last-minute decision changed the puzzle's name to attract fans of the original Rubik's Cube."

-Wikipedia

EDIT: It was patented in 1983.

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Can't find any info, or didn't even try? Come on, even the laziest people know to hit Wikipedia first.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So you want to present people with information that you yourself don't know? :rolleyes:

My policy is only to share my own material, but if you do want to go that way, Wikipedia is not hard to find.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
The 4^3 was released in 1982. The one I got at that time was called "Master Rubik's Cube", I think the name Rubik's Revenge came a little while later.

calekewbs

WCA
2011PUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah I did hit up wikipedia, but it didn't give quite enough info for me to be satisfied. I guess it'll have to do though. I still can't find anything else.

miniGOINGS

yeah I did hit up wikipedia, but it didn't give quite enough info for me to be satisfied. I guess it'll have to do though. I still can't find anything else.

My post pretty much sums up what Wikipedia has to say about the history about it.

daniel0731ex

the 4x4 is named "sebesteny cube" at first, but they changed it to "rubik's revenge" right before production.