• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Another lube thread? (I'm sorry)

Noob at Cube

WCA
2011BOAD01
Before anyone gets angry and starts flaming me, I would like to explain that yes I have lurked around this forum for a while, have read the faq and read multiple threads on the subject of cube lube, but this is a bit of a specific question.

I have only been (successfully) cubing for a few days although I have owned this same cube for years and years so it has sentimental value (I think it's older than I am). Yesterday I thought I would try to get my old cube a bit smoother so I hunted down a can of 3-in-one silicone spray lubricant and lubed it up.

However today I was reading the can (I know I should of done that first :fp) and I noticed that it is made by the WD-40 company, so I looked up the MSDS and what do you know? Composition is 50 - 60% Petroleum Solvent.

So what I am asking is have I ****** myself over by using this lubricant one time? I'm not sure If I should take it apart and clean it out or what.

Ltsurge

It's fine, I use it too, so long as you don't put huge amounts. About a drop or two along the straw should do the trick. I'd advise trying to lubricate the back side of an edge piece rather than the side that is closest to the outside (... -.- yeah I know). The petroleum in it helps IMO, because it wears the cube in a little. After a few times (the lube lasts approx 50-100 solves) the cube will start to settle in. At first it's a little sticky but it gets smooth after about 10 solves. Once again I can't stress this enough... ONLY A DROP OR TWO. Oh and if you put too much at first use a paper towel and wipe it off but DO NOT re apply the lubricant the residue should be enough. Hope this helped (and I think next time despite your anti-flaming disclaimer... you should post this in the Lube thread) ...

Oh and compared to other lubes I've tried... it's decent enough for speedsolving (i.e. I average around 20s) . I use 3 in 1 as my main lube though because I don't own a bottle of diff oil or lubix :(
:D

PS Where in OZ are you?

BRISBANE PLEASE

ARyder

Before anyone gets angry and starts flaming me, I would like to explain that yes I have lurked around this forum for a while, have read the faq and read multiple threads on the subject of cube lube, but this is a bit of a specific question.

I have only been (successfully) cubing for a few days although I have owned this same cube for years and years so it has sentimental value (I think it's older than I am). Yesterday I thought I would try to get my old cube a bit smoother so I hunted down a can of 3-in-one silicone spray lubricant and lubed it up.

However today I was reading the can (I know I should of done that first :fp) and I noticed that it is made by the WD-40 company, so I looked up the MSDS and what do you know? Composition is 50 - 60% Petroleum Solvent.

So what I am asking is have I ****** myself over by using this lubricant one time? I'm not sure If I should take it apart and clean it out or what.

No worries, no flames from me :)

Yeah I put 3-in-1 Silicone spray into my store bought cube, it seemed to work really well *first time*, made the cube fly - but maybe in the background it was doing harm. Mind you I also hate the smell of that stuff which lowers the fun factor.

Anyway, so many months later, time for a re-lube so I pump the stuff back in and - BANG - the cube slowed down massively, was it a slow down or out right glue, it was hard to tell. Did I put too much in? Did I do something wrong? I sort of panicked and when I tried to pull the cube apart to wipe the evil stuff off I broke a corner piece - am I super strong or did the chemical make the plastic more brittle? Frankly I don't know but it was certainly time to search for a better lube - and a new cube.

I found and recommend pure silicone oil, mine is 45wt, a.k.a "shock oil" for remote controlled cars about 300m from my office! It was only $5, plastic safe, orderless and definitely better than 3-in-1 silicone.

Last edited:

ARyder

you Can wash it out if you want use a different lube, but i bieleve 3 in 1 is ok for cubes

Yes good point you can wash out or at least wipe it off.

3-in-1 silicone contains a heap of petro-chemicals, granted some plastics can survive some petro-chems and that's why we have mixed stories, one cuber loves petro-lube-product-A - while another cuber with a different type of plastic cube has a melted cube. Mixed results.

I think the general consensus is do not use Vaseline or any of it's petroleum based cousins, including 3-in-1 silicone spray.

I've never heard of anyone say pure silicone oil, a.k.a shock or diff oil, with a problem on any plastic, be it: cube: RC vehicle: nurf blaster, printer ...

Granted Krytox is better, I found 2oz for $90 (that's wholesale, it retails for about $280), they use that stuff on spacecraft (yes literally) but it might be overkill, a $5 bottle of pure silicone seems to be the safest, non-toxic and overall winner.

Last edited:

RaresB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BOST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just wash the pieces and let them dry then apply another lube. I would recommend shock oil or the likes. A quick search on ebay or amazon should probably give you a few results that ship to your destination.

Noob at Cube

WCA
2011BOAD01
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I ended up disassembling the cube and wiping it down and it looks like no damage has been done. I ordered some cubesmith stickers so I got some lube at the same time to use next time.

PS Where in OZ are you?

BRISBANE PLEASE

Perth sorry :p