• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Announcing the 2011-2012 Berkeley Octodecathlon!

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Basically, Berkeley will be hosting 3 seasonal competitions this school year: Berkeley Fall 2011, Berkeley Winter 2012, and Berkeley Spring 2012. What's new? These competitions are now going to be a series. Through those 3 competitions, we'll be running 18 of the 19 possible WCA official events (sorry, no feet). Competitors will compete in whichever events they wish to compete in.

Depending on how competitors place in each event, we'll award them points: 10 points for a 1st place finish, 7 points for a 2nd place finish, 5 points for a 3rd place finish, 3 points for an otherwise Top-10 finish, and 1 point for all other finishes.

At the conclusion of the series at Berkeley Spring 2012, we'll award the winner something big. The current proposal is $100 towards a trip to US Nationals 2012 (we would offer the whole trip, but we don't have that kind of money). Second place is currently slated to get $10; Third place $1.

The catch? We'll only be taking your results from the top ~5 distinct/unique events, so that more people have a chance of winning. This means that you could, theoretically, win by destroying 4BLD, 5BLD, MultiBLD, BLD, and placing decently in one other event.

Should there be a tie, we'll be breaking the tie by fastest 3x3 speedsolve average set in any round at any of the three competitions. Therefore, 3x3 still counts for slightly more, but not so much that someone who dominates at 3x3 is guaranteed a victory.

Some events, such as 3x3 or 3OH, will be run at multiple competitions. This leaves open the possibility that up to 3 different people could use a 1st place finish in 3x3 as one of their point-qualifying events. However, because we are looking at distinct/unique events per person, one person cannot use 3 1st place finishes in 3x3 as 3 of their point-qualifying events.

I will only be counting results that are not a DNF, and allow someone to place. So, for example, if you solve two Megaminx solves, but fail to complete an average, you will not receive points for that round. If you DNF your BLD solve, you will also not receive points for that round.

Thanks to Shelley, Steven, Jeremy, and Tyson for their suggestions and improvements on my original cumbersome idea; as well as putting up with me at an ungodly late hour to flesh this out.

Berkeley Summer Mini Frolic 2011 is still on, though not a part of this series.

Happy cubing =)

Last edited:

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
If Skewb gets added, I'll figure out where to stick it in, yes.

And if you don't compete in 5 events, you're really just hurting yourself... I think most people can do at least 5 of the following:
- 2x2
- 3x3
- 3x3OH
- Pyraminx
- Magic
- Master Magic
- 4x4
- 5x5

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Also, feet-fans can donate his own set of timers and mats and air fresheners for use at a Berkeley competition if they want feet added. I don't think we're ever using the timers from Vidar Open ever again...

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
A blast from the past: Round 1 of the Octodecathlon Series is complete. The current standings can be found here.

Currently, 6 people have broken 20 points, and are listed in order of ranking:
Ryan Jew
Chia-Wei Lu
Edward Lin
Dan Dzoan
Nick Young
Mitchell Lane

7 more have 10+ points, and 9 more have 5+ points.

Congratulations to Dan Dzoan, Ryan Jew, Chia-Wei Lu, and Mitchell Lane, who each have locked up sole possession of 1st place in at least 1 event. Events still to come: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, FMC, Clock, Pyraminx, Square-1, 3OH, 3BLD, 4BLD, and 5BLD. Look out for Berkeley Winter 2012 on the (super-secret yet-to-be-announced) 28th of January!

Last edited:

Ryanrex116

WCA
2008JEWR01
It looks like the competition was announced here.

To any others who want feet to be held: we can combine our timers together to donate. I have one, but I am willing to buy another. (I think Vincent said he wants five, but I must note that we only used 2 at Vidar and it was fine.)

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
Anyone have a Speedstacks Timer Gen. 2 that they'd be willing to sell? The one that can connect to computer.

Riley, when do you need it by? I ask because there is a possibly the club will be selling off a few at the Spring competition.

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I realize that the costs of me going to this competition will probably outweigh the $100 reward I can *possibly* get by winning. In other words, I can win $100 by pwning the next 2 comps, or I can win $400 by not going to the next 2 comps and saving the plane ticket money. Unless someone really wants to see me there, (and by that I mean if you're willing to help out financially) I dunno if I can go, at least to this next one.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
I realize that the costs of me going to this competition will probably outweigh the $100 reward I can *possibly* get by winning. In other words, I can win $100 by pwning the next 2 comps, or I can win $400 by not going to the next 2 comps and saving the plane ticket money. Unless someone really wants to see me there, (and by that I mean if you're willing to help out financially) I dunno if I can go, at least to this next one.

If you go to any competition (besides Worlds) for the prize money, you're doing it wrong.