• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Official] Amazing: 80-year-old man solved Rubik's Cube blindfolded

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Finally, today, Hideaki Tomoyori (80 years old) successfully solved Rubik's Cube blindfolded at Kawasaki Open 2013.
This broke the world record for oldest Rubik's Cube blindfolded solvers (previously 63 years old).
Scramble: F2 U2 L' U2 R' U2 F2 U2 B2 R2 U R F' L R' U2 F2 L2 B F2

English translation of annotation:
In this event (Rubik's Cube: Blindfolded), competitors firstly memorise all the pieces without applying moves.
The competitors can turn the puzzle after they put a blindfold.
The scramble was generated by a computer, and it was the same for all the competitors.
The rank of this event is determined by the time, including both memorization and execution.

Mr. Tomoyori starts the solve at 22:00. The awesome moment can be seen at 25:00.

You can see other events here: http://worldcubeassociation.org/results/events.php
(from 22:00)
In addition to the competitor's blindfold, a judge inserts a board between the puzzle and the competitor, in order to prevent the competitor from cheating.
(from 25:00)
The successful solve by a 80-year-old person is a world record at this moment (May, 2013).
(from 25:30)
The timer with display does not work if the time exceeds 10 min. Therefore another timer (stopwatch) was used for recording his time.

His official record is 26 minutes 29 seconds (according to the WCA regulation).

He is also famous for a previous world record holder for remembering pi.
http://alchemipedia.blogspot.jp/2009/09/hideaki-tomoyori-mnemonist-pi-memorist.html

Last edited by a moderator:

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
So awesome. With all due respect, I feel that this is even more amazing than Marcell's WR. And isn't Mats B. older than 63 as well?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Much congratulations to Mr. Tomoyori! This is very impressive, and a great moment to catch on film.

Great, congratulations to him. Though to be honest, I find it more amazing that it took so long for someone older than 63 to do it.
Yes, I've expected that record to be broken for a while, but it's exciting to see it broken by so much!

A Leman

I really liked seeing this. He had the best WR reaction that I have ever watched. I can't help but wonder how good he would have been at blind in the 1980's when he was a world class mnemonist in his prime that could Memorize 40,000 digits of pi. Congratulations, Hideaki!

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow!

I just found this: http://www.speedcubing.com/records/recs_fun_husbandwife.html

"Hideaki Tomoyori and Mitsuko Tomoyori are both in the top 10 of oldest Rubik's Cube solvers in WCA competitions. Hideaki was 76 years old during Japan Open 2008. Their results were 52.31 and 83.66. Hideaki is also the former world record holder of memorization of pi, and trying to be the oldest blindfolded solver."

So I guess he's actually been trying for at least around 5 years :O

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heh - I just realized this knocks me off the oldest blindfold solvers list. At least I went off the list in spectacular fashion! :) There's now nearly 30 years between the top and bottom of the list!

(And I really just need to get to another competition and get a successful solve to get back on it - I'm only a month away as it is.)