• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Am I progressing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WCA
2010STIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recently, a friend convinced me to learn intuitive F2L, and since then, I've practiced it, but haven't timed more than one or two solves here or there. When I was using a modified keyhole method, my usual average of 12 was about 32.xx. About 10 minutes ago I did an average of 12, and I got 33.79. At first I was all :fp, but then I remembered I'm learning intuitive, and most of my solves where I got ~35 to ~39 were solves where I did really :mad: and/or :fp F2L's...

I'm using a pure silicone-lubed TaiYan II black, and I've been cubing for about a year now. Am I progressing well? I just feel like I should be getting better, considering that mentioned friend is about 25.xx on 3x3x3 and 7.xx on 2x2x2...

Rayne

I think your ready for 1 look pll, but not all the OLLs. If you memo about 2 a day, you should be able to get all your plls down in a week.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say the biggest barrier you have is practise. There is no reason you should not be sub20 after a year of solid cubing... unless you have not been cubing solidly.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea, i was about where you were when I first stopped cubing. I cubed for about 7 months and got to just sub-30 avgs with intuitive f2l + 4LLL (half PLL).
I recently picked it back up (after a year+ break) and just now broke all of my pbs (sig) after about a month of decent practice.

About learning PLL/OLL - PLL is worth it, doing 2 look on difficult cases can take 6+ seconds for someone with ok turning speed, which rapes averages. F2l is more important though, I bet you need work on your cross and f2l. You should be shooting for 3-4 second crosses and sub 20 F2ls. That way, a sub 10 LL will get you sub 30 times.

Practice bld cross/f2l pairs

GO SLOW AND LOOK AHEAD

clean/mod/lube/buy new cubes (Alpha V, FII, A3f, etc)

practice 2-gen solves for tuning speed and lookahead.

use a metronome (?) maybe, some people like it, I have never used one

Status
Not open for further replies.