• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Am I improving my times waaayyyyyy to slowly?

How fast did it take you to learn a new method and get to sub 45?

• 1 Day

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 3 Days

• A week

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Two weeks

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A month

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 2 months

• Other

• Dude, I'm still trying to get sub 10 mins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Above 2 months

• Total voters

PetrusQuber

YouTube
N/A
I started dedicated cubing like half way throught May, and started off using Petrus. Once I'd learnt it, I got lots of sub 3 min solves until I finally managed to break the sub 1 min barrier with practise and lots of looking through websites. That was in June. 1 month later, I got my first sub 45 solve, and then got stuck sround there. (I managed some dips to around sub 40 which would last like a day before rising again.)
Is this normal, or am I improving faster or slower than usual, because I would like a goal.

efattah

As long as you are improving at all, that is awesome. Many people stop improving around 15-20 seconds even if they practice a lot. So enjoy every PB.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
CoachTabeCubing
I started dedicated cubing like half way throught May, and started off using Petrus. Once I'd learnt it, I got lots of sub 3 min solves until I finally managed to break the sub 1 min barrier with practise and lots of looking through websites. That was in June. 1 month later, I got my first sub 45 solve, and then got stuck sround there. (I managed some dips to around sub 40 which would last like a day before rising again.)
Is this normal, or am I improving faster or slower than usual, because I would like a goal.
I went 6 months without setting a new PB. In the last 6 weeks, I've beaten that old PB at least 10 times. Sometimes you hit a plateau and it just takes time to break through it.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
N/A
As long as you are improving at all, that is awesome. Many people stop improving around 15-20 seconds even if they practice a lot. So enjoy every PB.
Ok sure-I just got a PB of 34 secs :)
I went 6 months without setting a new PB. In the last 6 weeks, I've beaten that old PB at least 10 times. Sometimes you hit a plateau and it just takes time to break through it.
Lol. I'm just trying to improve as fast as I can to get to sub 30, (and yeah, I'll probably meet plateaus) and sometimes I get frustrated with my progress, because this summer is probably going to be the only cubing time I get for a while. I think I'm going to do some focused practising with my extensions to 2x2x3 and EO and also learn my full PLL.

Btw you guys, for some reason, my improvements are made in leaps, so I won't improve like by 2 seconds a week, I'll be like, on sub 1 min, and suddenly drop to sub 55 one day.

efattah

Ok sure-I just got a PB of 34 secs :)

Lol. I'm just trying to improve as fast as I can to get to sub 30, (and yeah, I'll probably meet plateaus) and sometimes I get frustrated with my progress, because this summer is probably going to be the only cubing time I get for a while. I think I'm going to do some focused practising with my extensions to 2x2x3 and EO and also learn my full PLL.

Btw you guys, for some reason, my improvements are made in leaps, so I won't improve like by 2 seconds a week, I'll be like, on sub 1 min, and suddenly drop to sub 55 one day.
Improvements usually come in jumps, and are often spread out with areas where your times are worse. Most of the time you learn anything new, your times get worse because your speed on the new tricks is very slow. Then eventually everything gets smooth and you get some PB jumps, but it doesn't last long because you add new tricks which make you slower again, and the process continues forever.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
N/A
Improvements usually come in jumps, and are often spread out with areas where your times are worse. Most of the time you learn anything new, your times get worse because your speed on the new tricks is very slow. Then eventually everything gets smooth and you get some PB jumps, but it doesn't last long because you add new tricks which make you slower again, and the process continues forever.
That makes a lot of sense to be honest