• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Algorithm Database Discussion

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Herro everybody.

As some of you are aware, in the Speedsolving wiki there is an Algorithm Database.
In this database, there are many pages where algorithms have yet to be found/posted for specific cases, such as the majority of the OLL page, the CLL page, etc.

Although I do like the outlook of the database, I think it needs some freshening up (cleaning, restoration, etc.). However, it has been set in stone that a user cannot edit the pages unless he/she has an admin status of some sort.
Thus, I wanted to clean up the ELL/CLL pages, but alas! I couldn't.

I now create this thread so people can discuss situations or suggest new ideas for the Algorithm Database.

Here's my input:
Does VisualCube have a feature to disregard certain pieces/stickers?
The reason I ask this is while browsing, I saw this CLL page and gasped at the LL edges being acknowledged.

I figure one way to solve this problem is to use the algorithm U2 M E’ S2 E M U2 (which swaps the pieces UF-DF, UR-DR, UB-DB, UL-DL) while having the stage set on "ll", which then disregards the LL edges.

Anyone have input here?

Also, did I post this in the right place?

miniGOINGS

Does VisualCube have a feature to disregard certain pieces/stickers?
Yes.

miniGOINGS

Ranzha, for example, these would show an OLL skip.

visualcube.php

visualcube.php

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now my question is:
Why don't they use it?

Because then it looks like this.

http://cube.crider.co.uk/visualcube...ttttofotfttdtodotdtttttttttttttobotbt&fmt=png

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I'm getting it now.

Yeah. I meant just to gray them out, not become transparent XD.

Like change this:
visualcube.php

...to this:
visualcube.php

...without auto-disregarding the F2L edges and without using the yyyyyyyyy... set. There, I used the U2 M E’ S2 E M U2 algorithm.

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Hi Ranzha, this issue has been fixed in the development version, but updates haven't yet been rolled out to the live version. I was hoping to finish the bulk upload feature before committing the changes to the live version.

A few more 'planned' features (ordered by priority) include:
* Add link to alg animator
* Tag algs with user who uploaded them and time uploaded
* Allow searching/sorting of algs by various criteria
* Allow custom tags
* Allow alg comments
* Voting for each alg, possibly integrate into user system, so that users tag an alg as the one they use
* Allow user deletion of algs with moderator undelete function
* Create opening page with FAQs etc
* Include larger dimensional cubes and other puzzles

.. but I'm currently quite short of time. I'll try to get the latest changes uploaded ASAP.

If there are any more feature requests then yup, by all means mention them below and I'll see what I can do...

However, it has been set in stone that a user cannot edit the pages unless he/she has an admin status of some sort.
No edit link appears on the algorithm database page because it is actually a separate database application which is integrated into the Wiki as an add-on. The system will eventually allow you to remove or change uploaded algs, but because the layout is dynamically generated from a template it will not be possible to change it for individual pages. It's similar to how the WCA database works. Instead of editing individual pages, the maintainers simply upload data into the database and the pages are automatically generated from it. It wouldn't make sense to edit individual pages.

Last edited:

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Ranzha, this issue has been fixed in the development version, but updates haven't yet been rolled out to the live version. I was hoping to finish the bulk upload feature before committing the changes to the live version.

A few more 'planned' features (ordered by priority) include:
* Add link to alg animator
* Tag algs with user who uploaded them and time uploaded
* Allow searching/sorting of algs by various criteria
* Allow custom tags
* Allow alg comments
* Voting for each alg, possibly integrate into user system, so that users tag an alg as the one they use
* Allow user deletion of algs with moderator undelete function
* Create opening page with FAQs etc
* Include larger dimensional cubes and other puzzles

.. but I'm currently quite short of time. I'll try to get the latest changes uploaded ASAP.

If there are any more feature requests then yup, by all means mention them below and I'll see what I can do...

Thanks, Conrad.

I've seen a few of your posts regarding Visual Cube, and I like your ideas!

To further the discussion, on a side note, why shouldn't regulars users be able to input algorithms for specific cases with a submission page?

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Thanks, Conrad.

To further the discussion, on a side note, why shouldn't regulars users be able to input algorithms for specific cases with a submission page?

Cheers :)

If you have an account on the Wiki you should be able to add algorithms. Just log into the Wiki, browse to the set (OLL for example), and click on 'add' in the top right of the navigation box.

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks, Conrad.

Cheers :)

If you have an account on the Wiki you should be able to add algorithms. Just log into the Wiki, browse to the set (OLL for example), and click on 'add' in the top right of the navigation box.

Okay, thanks.

How would one change the picture of each of the cases?

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
In the navigation box, next to the 'view' heading, there are a few options for changing the view mode. If none of them are any good, let me know..

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the navigation box, next to the 'view' heading, there are a few options for changing the view mode. If none of them are any good, let me know..

Nah, I didn't mean change the view.
I meant actually changing the image, as I said before:

Like change this:
visualcube.php

...to this:
visualcube.php

...without auto-disregarding the F2L edges and without using the yyyyyyyyy... set. There, I used the U2 M E’ S2 E M U2 algorithm.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
It was originally designed to look like this:
visualcube.php

... but a bug in the code caused many plan-view algs to revert back to the full LL view. The bug is fixed on the dev version, but updates haven't been rolled out yet.

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was originally designed to look like this:
visualcube.php

... but a bug in the code caused many plan-view algs to revert back to the full LL view. The bug is fixed on the dev version, but updates haven't been rolled out yet.

The pic is this, right?
visualcube.php

Yeah. It works when I use the cube.crider.co.uk version.

Could a normal user change the image, or is it up to the admins?

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Haha oops, I lifted that URL straight off my local server without thinking, but yes what you posted is what I meant.

Changing the image is up to the developers since it is done by the template code. Since I'm a developer I can listen to your requests and implement them in the code. The update will mean that CLL images are formatted to look like the example above. Will that be OK?

Ranzha

WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha oops, I lifted that URL straight off my local server without thinking, but yes what you posted is what I meant.

Changing the image is up to the developers since it is done by the template code. Since I'm a developer I can listen to your requests and implement them in the code. The update will mean that CLL images are formatted to look like the example above. Will that be OK?

By all means. However, ELL will remain as is?

I don't see any need to change ELL since it's after CLL (usually).

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
ELL images on the dev version look like this:
visualcube.php

But if you'd like I could add a view option to make them appear like this:
visualcube.php