• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Advice thread for people who want to get to sub 10

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey everyone, I am making this thread as a place for cubers who are trying to get sub 10 to share advice with each other to help reach this goal. Of course, if you are already sub 10 you can still give advice. You can share solves here, good averages, algorithms, etc. I average around 10.5 and I really hope to have a sub 10 global average in less than a year.
Also, react to peoples messages based on whether you think it is good advice or not.
Like=good advice
Heart eyes=great advice
Sad face=bad advice
Angry face=terrible advice

Last edited:

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I have ground breaking advice. Absolutely groundbreaking.

practice

Okay I’ll explain more as that might not be sufficient.

1. Dedicate 1-2 hours a day to practice.
2. Identify weaknesses through self analysis or a coaching service
3. Dedicate half your practice to working on those skills
4. Do 50 solves in a Mo10Ao5, if you want to, do 100 in 2 Mo10Ao5s.

My friend recently did this and became sub 10 global in a month. Just work on what you need to and eliminate your bad habits. What you need to work on is different for everyone. That’s why I hate “WoRK oN LoOkAhEAD” as your lookahead and tracking may be sufficient and/or you may not need it at your level.

Shaun Mack

/thread

jk, but heres some advice for competing. If you dont know, which you definitely dont if you dont know me personally, but i got 2 8.5 official averages while averaging barely sub 10. Im gonna go through all that i did, but some of it may be useless tbh because i dont really know what i did to get those insane results. Ok, here we go lol

Use a slighlty slower cube than what you would normally practice on. your hands tend to move faster when you are nervous, so dont use a cube that you cant control

use a warmup cube similar to your main, but worse. for example, i used a very dead gts2m as my warmup cube and i used a wrm as my main for competing. i would even recommend setting up a cube to be dead for this sole purpose, but you dont have to

hang out with your friends in the waiting area if theyre there. discuss goals, times, bad judges, basically anything but the scrambles :p.

dont warm up too much before inspection. i tend to just focus on getting my chair in a good position, which gets my mind off my times.

of course, the biggest peice of advice: dont think, just solve. :)

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
of course, the biggest peice of advice: dont think, just solve.
I think this can be helpful for people who have a hard time with not thinking about getting good times while competing, BUT, it can be bad if you don't think enough. I have had many instances where I didn't think enough when competing and I end up with a 13 but can't remember a single bit of the solve. I couldn't find out what I did bad. You need to find a balance of not thinking enough and thinking to much.