• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Accidentally finding speedcubers

O

Owen

Have any of you ever found a serious cuber by accident? By serious cuber, I mean someone who is part of the community, goes to competitions, that sort of thing. I would expect such an accurence to be rather rare.

cubernya

Premium Member
I know one other cuber that I've met randomly, but they're not serious at all. Uses LBL and doesn't understand what start happens when you do commutators

And by the way the person was not a stranger, but didn't know I could solve a cube

Last edited:
WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've met a number of LBL cubers randomly, but no serious ones, unless you count when I initially got exposed to cubing, which is when I met someone (who is now a friend of mine) who solved it in ~15 seconds.

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
Study hall- I was sitting at a table by myself solving a 3x3 and someone at another table was solving a vcube 5. It took me a moment to realize it wasn't a youtube video, as this was 9 in the morning.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't met any really good cubers. However *off topic* I met 3 people in the same field of work as I'm going into at a concert. I was surprised. There weren't many people at the concert to begin with, but there were a total of 3 people who finished schooling for massage therapy, and 6 that were currently going to massage school.

Mudkip

Never by accident.
When I was first starting, my friends told me about another cuber, who uses LBL for 3x3, but has a lot of bigger cubes and is quite knowledgabel. lolspellingfail

Andreaillest

Premium Member
WCA
2012PANY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember there was this very quiet guy in my school who supposedly could solve it blindfolded. I never saw him do it, he was very private and quiet. However, I once brought up cubing in a class we had together. That got a bit of his attention.

Also, this girl was walking with a 4x4 in the hallways. Have no idea if she was a "serious" speedcuber.
I've taught some people LBL, but have no idea if they have progressed further in cubing.

Last edited:

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It turned out that there was someone who goes to the Toronto competitions who went to my high school last year.
I didn't recognize him at first but he recognized me because he saw me cubing in the hallway.

I sometimes, outside of cubing competitions, run into cubers I know though. Earlier this year I saw someone at the regional Reach for the Top tournament whom I recognized from Toronto competitions, and just yesterday I realized that Zaxxef (anyone remember him?) goes to the same university as me, along with a bunch of other cubers around here. Oh also Jon Tan is in my Algebra class.

Last edited: