• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A word about practice

jonlin

WCA
2012LINJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this all you noobs are blabbing about? See, I've practiced. A lot. And then I hit a roadblock of 30 seconds. And then I posted a speedsolving forum asking people what to improve. Then I got comments like,"This kid is trying to find the easy way out, when he should just be practicing." That got me really pissed off. :mad: Then I never trusted speedsolving(not really just never posted anything) after that and reasonably tried to do the things reasonable people who WANTED to help me and then practiced. But! what that did actually helped my times rather than the people who wanted me to practice my heart out. "Do this with fridrich,""Do that with fridrich", Fridrich method is not really the best method. I've seen in another post, somebody said,"Apply how you solve with other methods." So I learned roux method. and well, it didn't help that much, but gave me new concepts on how to make X-crosses. So guys, don't waste people's lives saying 'practice, your time will improve', instead give helpful tips, tips that could help people rather than waste their lives by practicing. Trust me. It helped for me.:D

Cubetastic

YouTube
Visit Channel
but, you needed to practice the cross and roux to get better, is it not considered practice

also, when you saw that fridrich wasnt getting any faster, wouldnt you think of trying something else if youve practiced your heart out?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
... You're going to call be nouxb for saying this, and go ahead, I don't care.
You know, practicing doesn't just mean solving over and over. It can mean researching methods and new techniques.

And exploring new methods is always a good thing, as you discovered.

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just wish people would link my thread on practice more. I was hoping it would solve the problem of new users replying to other new users threads with bad/outdated practice advice :(

jonlin

WCA
2012LINJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look, I just wanted to say do not waste people's lives by saying practice. I'm saying that you should help people however you can. HOWEVER, there is one exception I left out. If you can't really see anything there is to improve with them, say practice more.:p

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just want to add this link in as well as my opinion on the matter

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?27870-How-to-practice.

I know most people generalize and say "practice" but (IMO) 40% of those who say that, actually meant to link the above thread. They care deeply about your avid outlook on how to become faster or use fewer moves, etc.
(IMO) 60% of those people who said to practice have some kind of superiority complex, in their minds, they think "Noob, gtfo, I got here from practicing. Eff YEAH SUB-40! You can be just like me if you practice like me" or the like. They simply forget that the other user isn't them. They may have more or less knowledge on the cube, know more or less alg, the sort.

Let's try to be the 40% people! But actually help the nubs out. Tips and tricks and the like. Just tell em, but not force them.

For nubs, try to tell us what you know, what your break down is, and possible video of a solve so we can evaluate. Just saying "I'm slow help me" isn't really going to give us an example on how you solve, therefore the response to this is just "Practice." The more general you are to us, we'll be just as general to you.

chrissyD

WCA
2009DICK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
omfg making a thread demanding tips on how to improve isn't going to make you faster. in the past few weeks my average has gone down by a second just from doing hundreds of solves. you have to find a way of practicing that suits you best. In my case i just to cross+f2l solves all day till i get bored then do an avg of 100 the next day. yes you can make a thread asking for tips but you have the put the work in not us.

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
omfg making a thread demanding tips on how to improve isn't going to make you faster. in the past few weeks my average has gone down by a second just from doing hundreds of solves. you have to find a way of practicing that suits you best. In my case i just to cross+f2l solves all day till i get bored then do an avg of 100 the next day. yes you can make a thread asking for tips but you have the put the work in not us.

lol wut u mad at bro?

No, seriously, what are you mad at? This thread was very reasonable, and doesn't quite fit the bill for what you seem to be raeging* about.

*Yes, raeging.

Last edited:

ARyder

Look, I just wanted to say do not waste people's lives by saying practice. I'm saying that you should help people however you can. HOWEVER, there is one exception I left out. If you can't really see anything there is to improve with them, say practice more.:p

I would not suggest hours and hours of practice! Sure practice is important but it's the way one practices that matters more than how many hours.

I'm not a guru cube solver, recently got into it, but I know from many years of guitar playing plus I live in a house full of musicians and I can see what works - it's better to practice what you need in a focussed way for 10 to 15 minutes a day rather than hours and hours of utterly useless drivel!

And if people can't see your solves they can't provide specific advice. You'll only get the general adage "practice".

But then again hours of high quality practice (very different to hours and hours of drivel) is yet another thing all together, to be the best at something I dare say it'll take more than 15 minutes a day.

I'd say find *one* thing and fix that first. Is it turning speed, then finger tricks. Is it F2L then sharpen that, is it the cross then fix that and maybe X-cross. If you want better advice from any forum provide more information, like a youtube of your solves ...

For example my solving times are blown out by F2L look times, it takes me too long to find the pieces - so if I want to go faster I must fix that one thing. Once that is truly improved I can find the next thing.

HTH.

Last edited:

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel

3303%20-%20artist%3AKTurtle%20crossover%20fluttershy%20lol_wut_pear%20meme%20stare.png

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise cuber, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a comp, not a comp, not a comp, we talking about practice. Not a comp. Not, not ... Not the comp that I go out there and die for and play every comp like it's my last. Not the comp, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...

And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do...

But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the comp. (more laughter) We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the venue, and you see me cube, you see me cube don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We taking about pr... (Interrupted)

chrissyD

WCA
2009DICK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
But its...its easy ... to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise cuber, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a comp, not a comp, not a comp, we talking about practice. Not a comp. Not, not ... Not the comp that I go out there and die for and play every comp like it's my last. Not the comp, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? ...

And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do...

But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We aint talking about the comp. (more laughter) We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the venue, and you see me cube, you see me cube don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now. We taking about pr... (Interrupted)

was that supposed to be some sort of rap?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Lol... If someone made that into a rap I would actually like it.
Especially with the canned laughter. It'd be great to annoy people with.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practise *is* all you need to do to get faster. Stop wasting time with silly threads and actually cube and maybe you will break that nubcake barrier of 30 seconds. If you took the time to stop and think that maybe you were just being a big baby maybe you would have improved a lot faster.