• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A terrible idea

Dr. Lube

After watching possibly thousands of YouTube shows where talented folks build and rebuild cars, furniture and... tools (why tools?) I have come up with a new puzzle event. If you're watching WCA, you're welcome.

The event is called 3X3 CBS, which stands for 'cup', 'build', 'solve'.

Competitors start with a FULLY disassembled 3x3 puzzle (with the hardware detached from the core) in a cup big enough to contain the pieces. The cup has a coaster (or piece of cardboard featuring a picture of a well known cuber) placed over it and is then energetically shaken for five seconds to scramble the contents.

After starting the timer, competitors take as long as they need to build a puzzle from the contents of the cup before stopping the timer. The puzzle is then checked to confirm that it operates as it should and is able to be solved without falling apart. Building the puzzle solved is allowed, as is building it unsolved and then solving it.

Puzzles must feature a three-piece corner, two-piece edge design and no washers, so as to level the playing field. Magnetic cubes are, of course, allowed, but while they would aid in the final build phase, they could cause problems if parts were to stick to each other in the cup.

I can see GAN branded cups and screwdrivers becoming a thing...

Does anyone want to try for the world record?

Last edited:

GAN 356 X

After watching possibly thousands of YouTube shows where talented folks build and rebuild cars, furniture and... tools (why tools?) I have come up with a new puzzle event. If you're watching WCA, you're welcome.

The event is called 3X3 CBS, which stands for 'cup', 'build', 'solve'.

Competitors start with a FULLY disassembled 3x3 puzzle (with the hardware detached from the core) in a cup big enough to contain the pieces. The cup has a coaster (or piece of cardboard featuring a picture of a well known cuber) placed over it and is then energetically shaken for five seconds to scramble the contents.

After starting the timer, competitors take as long as they need to build a puzzle from the contents of the cup before stopping the timer. The puzzle is then checked to confirm that it operates as it should and is able to be solved without falling apart. Building the puzzle solved is allowed, as is building it unsolved and then solving it.

Puzzles must feature a three-piece corner, two-piece edge design and no washers, so as to level the playing field. Magnetic cubes are, of course, allowed, but while they would aid in the final build phase, they could cause problems if parts were to stick to each other in the cup.

I can see GAN branded cups and screwdrivers becoming a thing...

Does anyone want to try for the world record?
Cool Idea! But wouldn't all the energetic shaking slowly deteriorate your cubes performance?

Electrical

It's a good idea, but reassembling it randomly makes for a very high chance that it is in an unsolvale state. And it would be really hard to tell if it is solvable if it is in a scrambled state.

Lapse.

WCA
2016WYNG01
It's a good idea, but reassembling it randomly makes for a very high chance that it is in an unsolvale state. And it would be really hard to tell if it is solvable if it is in a scrambled state.
Nah its pretty easy to assemble cubes once you get hold of the colour scheme dont'cha think?

Plus isnt this just like magic as an event? You are just repeating the same process just trying to get as fast as possible? Its not like twisty puzzles where there is a new solution every time.

GenTheThief

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
channel/UCXxvOAAJVVoR7UfjeAv_bjA
Nah its pretty easy to assemble cubes once you get hold of the colour scheme dont'cha think?
Have you actually tried assembling a cube into an unsolved but solvable state?
I think there's only a 1/12 chance (2(edge flipped)x2(edge swapped)x3(corner twisted)[note that a corner swap is the same as an edge swap minus the Y-perm, and that if both occur it's just BLD parity]) for the pieces excluding centers.
So assembling centers is pretty easy once you know your color scheme, which I feel like you meant to say, but the rest of the cube is pretty hard. Unless, however, you're assembling into like checkerboard pattern, which technically isn't solved, but it's a specific state that is easily known to be solvable. I feel like the proposition implies that the assembly is random, probably aside from centers. That's the hard part.