• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Peculiar Progression Thread | Bad News

Would you like to watch me stream?

• Total voters

Silky

Eighth Fortnightly Update is out. Check OP for details.
Notes:

Still haven't gotten around to 3BLD, as usual. Will try to do better for next update, no promises. Mainly focused on 2x2 but have really been struggling. I detailed this more in OP, pls check it out and give any advice you'd think would help.

Catch you on the flip side !

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Eighth Fortnightly Update is out. Check OP for details.
Notes:

Still haven't gotten around to 3BLD, as usual. Will try to do better for next update, no promises. Mainly focused on 2x2 but have really been struggling. I detailed this more in OP, pls check it out and give any advice you'd think would help.

I think that I am qualified to help, since a lot of people would consider my Ortega above average. If you don’t already, use these algs for OLL and PBL:
Sune: R U R’ U R U2 R’
Anti-Sune: R’ U’ R U’ R’ U2 R OR R U2 R’ U’ R U’ R’ (I use both, depending on the angle)
H: R2 U2 R/R’ U2 R2
Pi: F (R U R’ U’)2 F’ OR R U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2 U2 R
L: F R U’ R’ U’ R U R’ F’
T: R U R’ U’ R’ F R F’
U: F R U R’ U’ F’

Adj/Adj: R2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' R2
Adj/Diag: R U' R F2 R' U R
Diag/Diag: R2 F2 R2
Adj/Solved: T-perm/J-perm
Diag/Solved: Y-perm
Solved/Adj: modified T-perm (first move is an R’ and the last is an R2)
Solved/Diag: R2 F2 R2 (Y-perm)

After you’re about sub-5, you should try to start predicting OLL during inspection. At first, only do it on easy scrambles (2-3 pieces already built), then work your way up to doing it every scramble. Then, you’re pauseless between the first side and OLL. This should eventually carry you to at least sub-4.5.

To increase your TPS, you basically just need to spam T-perms and Y-perms hundreds or even thousands of times. PBL is (IMO) the strongest part of my solve, because I can still get 3s with the longest algs (1 solved layer).

More important than any of these tips is to be color neutral. You are never going to be good at 2x2 if you can’t start on any color.

Most of these tips you’ve probably already seen, but let me know if you need more specific tips later, after you’ve improved a little bit. Feel free to PM me a video of an ao5 or ao12, and I might be able to help you even more.

Zarxrax

Mainly focused on 2x2 but have really been struggling. I detailed this more in OP, pls check it out and give any advice you'd think would help.
If you are still trying to do Guimond and you havn't learned all of the OLLs yet, why? There aren't that many of them, so I would recommend just spend an hour or two knocking the rest of them out. Practice them over and over. Then do a bunch more solves to practice them.

Silky

If you are still trying to do Guimond and you havn't learned all of the OLLs yet, why? There aren't that many of them, so I would recommend just spend an hour or two knocking the rest of them out. Practice them over and over. Then do a bunch more solves to practice them.
As I said in OP, I just feel that I should have better fundamentals before switching to a full intermediate method. I'm currently using a hybrid of Guimond and Ortega. Full face of opposites, OLL, separation, PBL. I know a few G-OLLs so when I get lucky I just do normal Guimond, which happens frequently enough.

Silky

Would anyone be interested in watching me stream some cubing/video games?? When I get my FTO I'd grind that and probably play Tetris, Animal Crossing, Ikaruga, NES Tetris ( @CrispyCubing ), and maybe Doom speedruns.. Lmk what you think, I've been sitting on the idea for a while and need some motivation to pursue it. I would probably want to stream 3-4 hours every evening.

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would anyone be interested in watching me stream some cubing/video games?? When I get my FTO I'd grind that and probably play Tetris, Animal Crossing, Ikaruga, NES Tetris ( @CrispyCubing ), and maybe Doom speedruns.. Lmk what you think, I've been sitting on the idea for a while and need some motivation to pursue it. I would probably want to stream 3-4 hours every evening.
Definitely interested. That’s a good variety of things to stream!

Silky

Mini update:

I've been working on 3BLD and 2x2 which is going pretty well. Will come out with full update next week. Also if you can please answer the poll, I'd very much appreciate it, really helps to gauge interest. Thanks in advance !

Silky

<insert “maybe” option> depending on whether you're fun to watch and when you stream.
Well if you enjoy someone slowing getting less mediocre at speedcubing, go mad playing brutally difficult video games ( Cuphead, Ikaruga, Hollowknight, etc. ), play Teris 99, race @CrispyCubing to 500k in NES Tetris, and generally play puzzle games, and hang out in a laid back, friendly, chat engaged stream then I am the mans for you. I could also get my butt kick kicked by @abunickabhi in Lichess? I'd want to stream 3-4 hours 5-7 days a week in the evening/late evening.

Since the pandemic I'm a bit starved for social contact so I figure this would be a good creative/social outlet. But it's an investment and I don't want to invest a bunch of money for nobody to watch/engage. I don't need hundreds of viewers but a few dozen or so would be amazing.

It would also be a great way for me to be more active in the community since I'm not interest in going to comps. Plus I think there is currently a vacuum for speedsolving content on Twitch and I'd love to grow that some.

Last edited:

DNF_Cuber

Well if you enjoy someone slowing getting less mediocre at speedcubing, go mad playing brutally difficult video games ( Cuphead, Ikaruga, Hollowknight, etc. ), play Teris 99, race @CrispyCubing to 500k in NES Tetris, and generally play puzzle games, and hang out in a laid back, friendly, chat engaged stream then I am the mans for you. I could also get my butt kick kicked by @abunickabhi in Lichess? I'd want to stream 3-4 hours 5-7 days a week in the evening/late evening.

Since the pandemic I'm a bit starved for social contact so I figure this would be a good creative/social outlet. But it's an investment and I don't want to invest a bunch of money for nobody to watch/engage. I don't need hundreds of viewers but a few dozen or so would be amazing.
I hate cuphead. It is too hard.

Silky

I hate cuphead. It is too hard.
I love it ! It's charge makes it feel a lot less frustrating, so I don't really rage. I never feel that a death is unfair and I feel each time I die that I gain more knowledge. But I'e heard that Cuphead did a very poor job at making it more accessible for people that didn't want such a harsh experience. Celeste did a much better job with that imo.

Silky

End of Year Roundup:
Notes:
So over the last 8 months I've been updating my progress, abate slowly.. I've been inconsistent but am generally happy with my results !
Speaking of results heres my progress so far

2x2: Went from 7.13 (av50) to 5.63
3x3: Went from 23.7 (av25) to 20.76
4x4: Went from 1:41.43 (av25) to 1:27.85
Square-1: Went from 44.46 (av25) to 24.19
OH: Went from 50.59 (av25) to 37.26

Over the coming year I plan to buckle down and grind out all of these events

Goals =>
2x2: Sub-3.9
3x3: Sub-15
4x4: Sub-57
OH: Sub-31 w/ hand neutrality
3BLD: Sub-1:06
Square-1: Sub-18
Megaminx: Sub-1:39
FMC: Sub-40
FTO: Sub-59

I plan to update this thread far more regularly and consistently. Over the next 2 months I'm going to be focusing on the Uncommon Method Competition with a goal of low-20s using ECE. If I'm able to reach sub-20 I may pursue this method as my main, well see.. I'm also going to be doing some test streams of NES Tetris to see what the engagement is and if it's worth the investment ( since I wouldn't need a capture card ). If it's successful then I will buy a capture card and start streaming some Switch games ( Long terms I'd live stream speedsolving but the investment in that is even higher than buying a capture card.. But I'll try to make some youtube videos of my progress and such ) ! I'm really striving to be as active as I can and contribute as much as possible to this wonderful community.

On a final note I am very sadden to hear that MF Doom has passed away at 49. Rest in peace, brother.

Silky

New Year, New Grind.

The next two weeks are going to be a grind fest.. Only going to be focused on ECE, FTO, and 3BLD. Shooting for 250 3x3 solves a week and 50 for FTO/3BLD. For the next two weeks I'm going to shoot for sub-40 in 3x3. I've been method neutral before which will certainly be an advantage but I'm much more used to block building so I'll have my work cut out for me. If I'm able to consistently get within the 30-35 range I'll transition to intermediate ECE and learn WV. I think in the next two months that will be plenty to carry me to sub-20.

Silky

11th Fortnightly Update is out. No OP updates for this week.
Notes:

Have begun the ECE grind ! It's been a good so far, sub-35 average of 250 and sub-30 average of 25. Got a 22 single with a 3 move pairs.. wild. Exceeded my goal for the update which is great. Right now I have low TPS, lots of pauses, and am very inefficient; lots of improvement to be made. I feel like there is a tons I can work on but for now lookahead will be my main focus and trying to plan as much as I can in inspection. Once I get around sub-30 average of 250+ I'll start picking up WV, although based on what I've been doing I probably could get sub-25 with just beginners variant. I also need to learn all of the PBL cases. Going to be mainly focused on ECE for the coming weeks but plan to finish learning FTO. Feeling good. I also finally picked up a tripod so watch out for some videos !

On a completely separate note, I will be streaming on Twitch for the first time this Thursday at 4:00 EST ! I hope ya'll can join for some chill vibes and tetris stuff. Feel free to stop on in and we can talk about cubing stuff as well. Very excited :) For future Twitch stuff please refer to this thread in which I'll be doing Twitch updates from now on.