• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A List of Mile-markers for my Future Speedcubing Journey

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Hey All,

Yet another personal progress thread, mostly for my sake, but if I'm going to be keeping track, I might as well keep y'all updated as well!
After taking a 3-1/2 year break from cubing, I'm back at it, and sadly not as fast as I used to be :(
So, I have decided to come up with some goals for myself to help foster consistent practice and track improvement, but I will not really be focusing on time.
Instead, I would like to expand my knowledge of cubing and understanding of all my favorite puzzles; through learning new methods and algorithms, understanding how different moves and algorithms affect a cube, and how to incorporate all of that into my solves (hopefully resulting in better times). I also want to start contributing more to the cubing community, which a few of my goals will hopefully help me accomplish.
I'll try to post weekly updates, but since I'm living that college life it might not always happen.

Anyway, here's my current goals!

Methods/Puzzle Theory:
- Learn all advanced Pyraminx methods (For now I'm just going to focus on L4E, Oka, and 1-flip)
- Learn 4-look last layer for mega (Eventually I'd like to learn 2-look, but It'll probably be a while before that happens)
- Learn last layer algs for OH
- Learn how to do BLD
- Get consistent at cross+1 from inspection

Cubing Community:
- Attend a competition again
- Assist in organizing a competition
- Lead the organization of a competition
- Become a WCA delegate

Personal Progress/Time:
Again, I'm not really going to be focusing most of my attention on improving my times (for now), these are just benchmarks I'd like to eventually reach - no rush for me to get there.
- Create a spreadsheet that can track personal progress (time-wise)
- Hopefully I'll be able to share this with the cubing community if others want to use it to track their progress as well.​
- Sub-10 3x3
- Sub-5 Pyra
- Sub-60 mega
- Sub-45 4x4
- Sub-20 OH

Last edited:

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Week One Updates:

This week, the main goals I focused on were Pyra, BLD, and my personal time progress tracker.

For Pyraminx, I've now learned all L4E algs, most of them intuitive. Recognition is still slow at this point, but I can tell that with some practice I'll get to be pretty efficient at recognizing cases and not having to think about what alg I need to use. Time goal for now is just to get back to where I was with keyhole before starting to incorporate L4E (around 5.5 average). Next method on the list is Oka.

BLD: I did some basic research into common methods and notation for BLD solves. Right now, I'm using old Pochman, which has seemed to work well so far. I'm a big fan of its simplicity and intuitiveness. The main things I focused on were getting piece labels and letters memorized, as well as understanding how to push from the buffer to different stickers/positions. Also tried a few untimed BLD solves - I was able to get all edges solved, still struggling a bit with consistent solving of corners, but I can tell I'm getting there!

One of the main areas of my focus this week was the cubing time spreadsheet, which I've actually been really enjoying. I'm hoping to have an online version available for download soon. I still have a lot of work that I want to do. I want to have the format feel a lot like the WCA personal record/time page, with the most recent session at the top. I also want to look into how to easily import session times from different timers into the spreadsheet, and then create an instruction page for people to reference. I'll probably end up adding some more events as well.

Also, I registered for a competition! I'll be attending the CubingUSA Western Championship 2021, I'm signed up for all events except 4BLD and 5BLD.

That's all for this week!

Bh13

WCA
2013HOPP01
Week Two Updates:
This week, most of my attention went to Pyra and BLD, so those were the areas that saw the biggest improvement.

For BLD, I had my first successful single! Time was 13:14.18. I've had several solves that have been pretty close, usually where I've been going wrong has been not putting corner pieces back correctly.

For Pyra, I think I've finally gotten recognition and algs down for all L4E cases. My current average when purely using L4E has been around 6.5. I also started fiddling with Oka and Bell methods, but as of right now I'm just gaining familiarity with them.

Minor updates: I've gotten back into Square-1, still working on lookahead for 3x3, and relearned Ortega for 2x2. I've also been trying to get comfortable with Yao for 4x4 and 5x5.

That's all for this week!