• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A full buyer's guide to Rubik's Cubes. What would yours look like?

novice

For each Rubik's solid on offer, from 2x2 to 7x7 to pyramids to whatever else you get, could you state the brand recommendation you'd make to:

-a beginner who isn't too fussed about speed, but does want value for money, something which isn't a huge strain to turn and something which won't fall apart. i've found the rubiks.com 3x3 to be very good, so cubes like that but in different sizes would be good...just something decent. anything better than the rubiks.com 3x3 for 3x3s? i've had some serious crap in the past. my 2x2 cube (cheapest one on ebay, not a rubiks.com) fell apart in my hands, leaving an impossible puzzle of plastic pieces in front of me to reassemble. it was decent before it did this. my 4x4 and 5x5 cheapies off ebay also fell apart with even more complicated results...and before they did, they were very stiff, with tiny cubies too...they didn't turn unless i'd made a big conscious effort to get all of the layers perfectly aligned.

-a serious speedcuber who really wants to get up to crazy speeds.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For each Rubik's solid on offer, from 2x2 to 7x7 to pyramids to whatever else you get, could you state the brand recommendation you'd make to:

-a beginner who isn't too fussed about speed, but does want value for money, something which isn't a huge strain to turn and something which won't fall apart. i've found the rubiks.com 3x3 to be very good, so cubes like that but in different sizes would be good...just something decent. anything better than the rubiks.com 3x3 for 3x3s? i've had some serious crap in the past. my 2x2 cube (cheapest one on ebay, not a rubiks.com) fell apart in my hands, leaving an impossible puzzle of plastic pieces in front of me to reassemble. it was decent before it did this. my 4x4 and 5x5 cheapies off ebay also fell apart with even more complicated results...and before they did, they were very stiff, with tiny cubies too...they didn't turn unless i'd made a big conscious effort to get all of the layers perfectly aligned.

-a serious speedcuber who really wants to get up to crazy speeds.

2x2: http://www.dealperfect.com/detail.dp/sku.24756 (Eastsheen)

3x3: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16433 (Type C)

4x4: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19208 (QJ Normal size with tiles) or http://www.dealperfect.com/detail.dp/sku.24168 (QJ smaller one with stickers)

5x5-7x7 (and beyond): http://www.v-cubes.com/

Pyraminx: http://www.dealperfect.com/detail.dp/sku.22357

Megaminx: MF8, maybe from Ebay (I would not buy QJ Megaminx, and I have both), should be max $15 with shipping.

Square-1: Also from Ebay, $10-$15 with shipping. And it should be MF8 brand, not that cheaper crappy one that doesn't turn good.

Both 'deal'-shops are with free shipping.

Last edited:

daniel0731ex

3x3 - type c
4x4 - QJ
5x5 - VCUBE or QJ
megaminx - QJ
pyraminx - QJ
tetraminx - QJ
Skewb - QJ

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't believe that so many people like the Type C. I bought a white one and it was garbage. I need to get another...
I have several Type Cs and they are all amazing cubes, especially my white one. It would be my main cube, but my look-ahead is bad with white cubes. My second best is a bit different Type C, that I don't know where I bought it. It has a creamy-colored core, instead of normal Type C core that is the same color as Rubik's DIYs core.
Oh, and I have also Type A, B, D, E, F, C4Ys.. But we all like different things. Hope you find your best type. I know I'm still looking, even though I love Type Cs. (my Edison's are already shipped)
A badly tensioned, barely broken in Type C is garbage, it just needs a little love.
Jeh :cool: ...and maybe some silicone as well. ;)

Tristeeey

I'm about to order 100$ in cubes, and would like to know if these are good cubes:

Shengshou Megaminx
yj guanlong
moyu tanglong
qiyi sail
moyu pyraminx
qiyi square - 1
qiyi skewb
(and a bunch of full bright stickers with standard red, full fitted)

Jbacboy

WCA
2014CHRI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm about to order 100$ in cubes, and would like to know if these are good cubes:

Shengshou Megaminx
yj guanlong
moyu tanglong
qiyi sail
moyu pyraminx
qiyi square - 1
qiyi skewb
(and a bunch of full bright stickers with standard red, full fitted)

There really aren't any cubes on the market that are bad, but ditch the guanlong to get the YuHu megaminx.
Also dat bump.

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
2x2 - SS Aurora 2x2 (meh it's only 8)
3x3 - I'm getting my brother a Yuxin Fire, it's only 5 on theCubicle and it's good for beginners and faster cubers as well
4x4 - I've heard good things about the Yuxin Lion
5x5 - The SS and Cyclone Boys are good, and they're cheap
6x6 and 7x7 - SS, because the Aoshi and Aofu are money black holes
Mega - The QJ is really nice, but the SS is good if you plan to get a lot faster and spend time modding it.
Pyra - The SS has a nice feel, and doesn't pop much (as far as I know)
SQ1 - QiYi. All the others are complete garbage.
Skewb - The SS is nice, but if you want to spend a little extra money to get you faster later, get the QiYi.
Clock - LingAo > BaiTai. That is all.