• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Making a 4bld sandwich with Stanely Chapel out of the entire world

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i want a record
unfortunately, among other things, i live in the us
this is unfortunate both because setting records is hard and also for other reasons

all of the events for which i have any sort of aptitude are all occupied by countrymen of the highest caliber:

3x3 - max is a 3x3 god
megaminx - nicholas is a mega god
feet - daniel is a feet god
fmc - cale is an fmc god
bld - lmaooo (stanely is a bld deity)

well, that is except of course oh

like there are so few fast people
literally only 20 ppl are sub11, and not even 75 ppl are sub12
ofc max and patrick are good but cmon. they're not that good
so i know for sure ill be able to get world class ez

the only question is if i can get to low9 and get an official result at that speed before anto and iuri and other rouxers compete again

and ive got a lot of work to do bc im like barely mid 14 and everyone else is already low9 but covid is gonna hang around for a few more months at the very least, preventing most comps, so if i can drop a second each month then i should be good

unfortunately i also start uni again soon so ill have to be really deliberate with my practice as well

WCA
2022WEIP01
i want a record
this is unfortunate both because setting records is hard and also for other reasons

all of the events for which i have any sort of aptitude are all occupied by countrymen of the highest caliber:

3x3 - max is a 3x3 god
fmc - cale is an fmc god

the only question is if i can get to low9 and get an official result at that speed before anto and iuri and other rouxers compete again

and ive got a lot of work to do bc im like barely mid 14 and everyone else is already low9 but covid is gonna hang around for a few more months at the very least, preventing most comps, so if i can drop a second each month then i should be good

unfortunately i also start uni again soon so ill have to be really deliberate with my practice as well
I looked at your WCA profile, and your best event is Megaminx so maybe you could practice that.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
time to grind clock
unfortunately stanley is quite good and so is whoever kerry creech is
i do have the qiyi but i also average like 45-60s

I'd like to eventually get into the 8-9ish territory for my first results, but there's no rush there

I looked at your WCA profile, and your best event is Megaminx so maybe you could practice that.
My best event was actually Feet -- I was top 100 in the world, but that's neither here nor there.

Nicholas Naing, who I would need to beat for NR, is about 20 seconds faster than me in megaminx, that's about 40%.
Max Park is about 5 seconds faster than me, also close to 40%. According to official results, he's almost 7 seconds faster, but I haven't competed since early 2018 and have improved a lot. The exact opposite has happened for me in megaminx; I averaged about 55 seconds and got pretty lucky with my official 52 average. However, I haven't practiced much and would be reasonably happy if I could hold onto sub 60.

In addition I use ZZ-Spike on megaminx. It's distinctly worse than other mainstream approaches like Westlund or YDH, but it's still a decent method. I'm sure I could get to sub-35 with it; it would just take extra effort than if I was using a better method. But I really like the solving style and I don't have any ambitions of reaching sub35 anymore so I don't mind being slightly less optimal. If I wasn't feeling it in OH though, I would definitely pursue world class megaminx. Eventually I might pick it back up and go for it anyway, who knows.

In OH on the other hand, I use ZZ-A. Some people would claim it's worse than other methods, but it's much less clear cut than my megaminx method. I'm also enjoying OH solving a lot more atm, so I am more inclined to put in the effort to optimize my solving through mundane tasks like scouring alg sheets for better OH algs or spending a full minute in inspection trying to find a good eoline+1.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i want a record

3x3 - max is a 3x3 god
fmc - cale is an fmc god

Good luck getting a future NAR.

You can get there with enough practice.

WCA
2022WEIP01
unfortunately stanley is quite good and so is whoever kerry creech is
i do have the qiyi but i also average like 45-60s

I'd like to eventually get into the 8-9ish territory for my first results, but there's no rush there

My best event was actually Feet -- I was top 100 in the world, but that's neither here nor there.

Nicholas Naing, who I would need to beat for NR, is about 20 seconds faster than me in megaminx, that's about 40%.
Max Park is about 5 seconds faster than me, also close to 40%. According to official results, he's almost 7 seconds faster, but I haven't competed since early 2018 and have improved a lot. The exact opposite has happened for me in megaminx; I averaged about 55 seconds and got pretty lucky with my official 52 average. However, I haven't practiced much and would be reasonably happy if I could hold onto sub 60.

In addition I use ZZ-Spike on megaminx. It's distinctly worse than other mainstream approaches like Westlund or YDH, but it's still a decent method. I'm sure I could get to sub-35 with it; it would just take extra effort than if I was using a better method. But I really like the solving style and I don't have any ambitions of reaching sub35 anymore so I don't mind being slightly less optimal. If I wasn't feeling it in OH though, I would definitely pursue world class megaminx. Eventually I might pick it back up and go for it anyway, who knows.

In OH on the other hand, I use ZZ-A. Some people would claim it's worse than other methods, but it's much less clear cut than my megaminx method. I'm also enjoying OH solving a lot more atm, so I am more inclined to put in the effort to optimize my solving through mundane tasks like scouring alg sheets for better OH algs or spending a full minute in inspection trying to find a good eoline+1.
ok. good luck then you're going against max... what about fmc?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok. good luck then you're going against max... what about fmc?
I can barely break 30 aint no way I'm touching 21 (even as a single), much less 16.

I'm also terrible at cn and that's pretty important for time maintenance; if I have to pre-rotate before checking every side I'm at a huge disadvantage over people who can just look at the whole cube without having to rescramble to check a different orientation.

It's also really hard to grind out. I can do 25 solves in like 10-15 minutes in between other activities, but you don't really have that if you want to get in a real FMC attempt.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
maybe you can just try a state record.
I think at the planned PA comp you still would've gone against Dana Yi and Keaton Ellis

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
maybe you can just try a state record.
I already have state records from Feet. But state records don't go on your WCA profile.
I think I'm SR2 for megaminx and SR3 or 4 in OH.

I think at the planned PA comp you still would've gone against Dana Yi and Keaton Ellis
lol PA is way to far to travel to for a comp for me (~10h), and I'm definitely not in form to set a record or beat anyone who's actually fast. I'm still in mid-14 shape, at least for now :)

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, okay. But what other events did you do that you got good ranks in? Practice those events, and you will prob get more records. Especially if there I see a comp near you that is hosting those events.
I'm a little confused, have you even read the first post? I've been cubing for a while and am quite aware of my abilities, the obstacles that I will have to overcome and the competitors that I will have to beat if I want to get a record-- I note all of this in my first post.

If you're gonna try to give someone advice, I would suggest that you make sure that they
  1. want it
  2. don't already know it
and the generic, formless "do what you're good at" is really laughable. Did you really thing I didn't know that? Believe it or not, I know which events I've done well in and which ones I'm willing to practice to the point of getting world class (I also include this in the first post!).