• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A bunch of shape modding questions from a complete newbie

hi,
I'm a complete newbie to modding cubes (and cubing in general) and would like some advice on:
What the easiest shape mod to start with is,
what brands of cube are good bases for mods,
and what I need to start modding cubes?
thanks,
martin

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
All you need to mod puzzles is some miliput, a file, sandpaper and time. The puzzles most commonly modded for speedsolving purposes are the shengshous though I'm pretty sure you can mod almost any puzzle.

K3lpBoy

I've never done mods, but I've heard that the YJ GuanLong is a great cube for modding because it turns decently well and if you screw up it isn't much of a loss.

Larfleeze

YouTube
Visit Channel
My first shape mod was a cutter cube. Basically what you do to build a cutter cube is that you turn the middle slice 45 degrees. Then, you cut off the parts of the edges that stick out to make the middle edges flat. Then you sculpt slants that look like the point of edge pieces (or just reuse the parts that you cut off) and glue them to the middle centers. That makes the centers look like edges and the edges look like centers. So it shape shifts. You can do this on any order of puzzle that has a center. I don't know if you can do it on even layered cubes.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?