• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(A) (B) (C) (D) DIY cubes

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Type A seems to be the best.
Type B seems to be the worst.
Type C seems to be in the middle...still ok though.
Type D....no one knows.

These explanations are what I've heard from other people.

Inusagi

Interesting... Why is B worse then C? I know it's true, but why is the list like this:
A
C
B ? It's like 1 3 2. Doesn't make any sense..

Jai

WCA
2007GAMB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting... Why is B worse then C? I know it's true, but why is the list like this:
A
C
B ? It's like 1 3 2. Doesn't make any sense..
I don't think the different types were meant to be like "A quality" and "B quality", I think the different types are different designs from the manufacturer, and they couldn't choose 1, so they decided to release a few.

N

newbiecubie

... so now D's are better than A's........ THE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT MY FIRST DIY A.....

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol.
well I'm pretty sure no one has a D to know what they are like...
plus a cube doesn't make that much difference. Somehow Rama likes type B and Yu uses a storebought.
so who knows they could turn out to be nothing... I mean they aren't cheaper than the other cubes for nothing.

bundat

General consensus on Cube4you is that...

Type-A's are the best,
Type B's are the worst (and yeah, they're really bad, same amount of lockups as a store-bought cube), and
Type-C's are pretty good (some say the Blue Type-C is as good as the White Type-A)

As for the new Type-D, I have quite a few (we can buy them locally here for almost half the price), and I'd say it's as good as a Type-A (very smooth, almost no lock-ups), except it doesn't pop (almost). So it's a bit better.

The only problem with the Type-D's is that you can't really tighten the screw so much, so its tightest setting is a bit loose. Not a problem if you like your cube a bit loose, but if you like a bit of tightness in your cube, well, this isn't the cube you'd want.

As for Yu's storebought cube... you can buy a Rubik's Assembly off the shelf in Japan, so that's actually not the rivet-type Rubik's cube, it's also a DIY, and much a better one than the C4Y's at that.

Last edited:

Leviticus

Heres me testing out my type D cube:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n0u44kheQSA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n0u44kheQSA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> [/youtube]