• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

a 3d printed device to measure the actual difference magnets make to speedcubes.

cuber Q

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm still very new to cubing, but i love to add or change magnets and tinker with my cubes.
I wanted a way to quantitativly measure the effect magnets have on a speedcube so i can compare different cube and cubes before and after i modify them in some way.

The main problem to overcome is the very small forces involved, commercial devices to do this are VERY expensive (as can be seen in the video).
I ended up 3d printing a simple device that measures the real forces required to turn my cubes with and without magnets in (or with different strengths) and when i plotted the data on a graph it was very cool! The results are very promising!!!

mini magnetic cube FORCE GRAPH.png

I have made a video about the process, the 3d printed device, the results and what i want to do with it.

i hope you like the video (it took forever to make!)

If there is any demand I will put the 3d printed files up of thingiverse later today. let me know.

I plan to make an electronic version to measure the tiny forces involved, it's going quite well so far... i hope it will make getting data much faster and much more accurate. ALso i hope to publish a chart showing all the cubes i own so people can really 'see' the differences between cubes out there.

if you want to see how the electronic version get's made check out the video above and subscribe, i'll be posting videos about it there.

thanks everyone, have a great day!

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm still very new to cubing, but i love to add or change magnets and tinker with my cubes.
I wanted a way to quantitativly measure the effect magnets have on a speedcube so i can compare different cube and cubes before and after i modify them in some way.

The main problem to overcome is the very small forces involved, commercial devices to do this are VERY expensive (as can be seen in the video).
I ended up 3d printing a simple device that measures the real forces required to turn my cubes with and without magnets in (or with different strengths) and when i plotted the data on a graph it was very cool! The results are very promising!!!

View attachment 14090

I have made a video about the process, the 3d printed device, the results and what i want to do with it.

i hope you like the video (it took forever to make!)

If there is any demand I will put the 3d printed files up of thingiverse later today. let me know.

I plan to make an electronic version to measure the tiny forces involved, it's going quite well so far... i hope it will make getting data much faster and much more accurate. ALso i hope to publish a chart showing all the cubes i own so people can really 'see' the differences between cubes out there.

if you want to see how the electronic version get's made check out the video above and subscribe, i'll be posting videos about it there.

thanks everyone, have a great day!
first of all, welcome to the community! This is your first post.
Also the magnet effect thingy is very interesting.