• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5x5x5x...

clicker4721

I bought an EastSheen 5-cube just to get the feel for a five. I love it. But, there is simply no way to speed up with my little pet E5. No cutting corners, certainly no reverse cuts, no spins over 90*. I understand that V-Cubes are unbeatable; I get it. I'm looking for an alternative. I hear lots of rumble about Ghost Hand and YJ. To settle it once and for all, what 5x5 is the best for speedsolving?

Oh, and where can I get one? :D

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
About the title...that's a 5x5x5 cube...to the 5th dimension.
Eastsheens aren't very good at all now.
The best 5x5 for speedsolving are the V Cube 5, Ghosthand, and YJ.
Ghosthand and YJ are virtually the same.
V Cube 5 is superior in quality, but lacks adjustable tensions. You can mod it using Memyselfandpi's tutorial.
YJ is adjustable but a little bit less in quality.
You can get the V Cube-5 and YJ 5x5 at Speedcubeshop.

primecuber

WCA
2010HELM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had a v-cube and a YJ but now i've found out that V-Cubes are MUCH better than YJ's.

1. YJ pops
2.if you tighten it to reduce pops the corner cutting is TERRIBLE
3.YJ is to loud. It woke my brother up.

clicker4721

@ ~Phoenix Death~: Thanks for the sweet breakdown. And yes. It is the fifth dimension. That's only one step up from my current plane of existence. No biggie.
@ TheAce: Thanks for the links.
@ primecuber: Have you also had experience with a Ghost Hand? I like how you compared YJ and V-Cube.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
They're very awkward looking screws but I believe so. I've never turned them for fear of screwing with the tensions. I'll go check now though. Wait for update.

Edit: I had to take out all my center pieces to access the hidden layer center piece and it is a screw. I loosened it twenty quarter turns and then tightened it back to stock.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOpeP9Uz1X4

Last edited:

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
When did you buy these V cubes?? * head scratch *
EDIT AFTER WATCHING VIDEO:
wut? Idk if i want to risk that on my v cube 5...

And yes, V5 owns when broken in.
This is why it holds the world record. (pardon me if I am wrong)

Last edited:

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
The Maru is supposed to have some sort of perfect balance between the inner and outer layers that makes the 3x3 phase extremely nice. I've never touched one nor watched any reviews because I love my V-Cube.

Last edited: