• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 Tutorials/example solves

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am thinking of making one or two videos when I get home, of going through how I solve a 5x5x5 cube, what I pointing out what I am looking at and whatnot... Would enough people be interested so that it would be worthwhile?

For reference, I consistently solve sub-3...

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Me too. I was going to ask you this weekend what the modifications to the bigcubes.com method are that you're using, but I never got the chance. I'm trying out Arnaud's (very different) method right now with some success, but I'd like to try yours, too. (I've used 5 different methods now for pairing tredges - I'll probably never get better that way, but I think that's one of the fun things about the 5x5x5 - there are so many different edge-matching methods that still work pretty quickly.)

Congrats on your 5x5x5 second place at the US Open!

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by icke@Jun 18 2007, 11:37 AM
me too. would you make it like a tutorial?
I'm thinking of using a generated scramble, giving you that scramble, and then going through each step and pointing out what I see to show you how I solve my 5x5x5.

I may make a centers tutorial if there is enough request for it. My edges are inferior to others', and there are already good tutorials for both methods of edge pairing. And of course, there are many, many 3x3 tutorials out there.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by ExoCorsair@Jun 18 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of using a generated scramble, giving you that scramble, and then going through each step and pointing out what I see to show you how I solve my 5x5x5.
That's exactly the kind of video of your approach that I'd like to see. I think it would be very helpful.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by Mike Hughey@Jun 18 2007, 02:27 PM
Me too. I was going to ask you this weekend what the modifications to the bigcubes.com method are that you're using, but I never got the chance. I'm trying out Arnaud's (very different) method right now with some success, but I'd like to try yours, too. (I've used 5 different methods now for pairing tredges - I'll probably never get better that way, but I think that's one of the fun things about the 5x5x5 - there are so many different edge-matching methods that still work pretty quickly.)

Congrats on your 5x5x5 second place at the US Open!
Thanks! :)

I have also tried multiple edge pairing methods and I found that the way I currently use makes the most sense to me, although this method is very similar to the one found on bigcubes.com. Besides the fact that I use the M ring, I think that I have only really made one modification to the method. I also don't look ahead nearly as much as Frank Morris does, so I make a few extra moves in exchange for less look ahead time (good enough for me as of right now... I will probably change this later for more efficiency as my look ahead gets better). That being said, any edge pairing method takes a lot of practice to become fast at it.

Now that I am home, I guess I will start it, and will try to have it done by late this week.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you - that was helpful. I was fascinated by how quickly you went for 2 edges on your storage rings when you spotted all 3 at once. I always seem to spend too long looking for matches of 2 in the middle. Maybe that's part of what keeps me so slow.

And also, I hadn't ever thought about the extra freedom you get when all the centers line up - that's helpful too.

The most helpful thing was simply seeing how you go about recognizing the pieces for the next edge to put together. I think I've just been too restrictive in what I would look for.

Thanks for doing this.

Dennis

YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like that cubers take their time making this tutorial videos, and I like yours ExoCorsair :) But, to me you are doing a speed solve with some comments... I would like, if you have time and effort, to do a slower variant with some more comments especially for the edge pairing stage where you rotated the cube way to fast to follow what you where doing. This is the hardest step for me to execute fast. I have also been looking at Franks edge pairing video, that was also good but since he is so fast it was also hard to follow (and I though he had some lucky cases with a lot of semi pairs, or maybe he is really good of looking forward).

So, ExoCorsair, if you have the time, and is willing to do another video, please do a slower one, explaing all your steps and what you are thinking and looking after for the next step.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by Dennis@Jun 22 2007, 12:21 PM
But, to me you are doing a speed solve with some comments...
That was the intention. I figured if I didn't, I would see moves that I would normally not see (and therefore not represent how I would really solve).

The main problem with an actual tutorial is that I only have 5 minutes available to film given the memory I have on my camera. This is plenty for centers, but may not be enough for edges. Perhaps when I get a bigger memory card.