• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

sharpnova

note: before you cry, i'm not a nazi. I just like swastikas. they had a different meaning before the nazi regime. (they still have that meaning actually)

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum. It seems the most relevant to the topic of cubing patterns.

I tinkered around with my cube for a few minutes and was able to create a swastika on one side. ( i did it on the red side of my 5x5x5 ) the background of the face was done in white. (one of the squares of the background had to be yellow. if you think about it logically, one of them has to be non-white )

Now that I think about it.. if I'd done the background in the color that was opposite the color that i did the foreground in, there would be enough counterclockwise edge pieces to make the background one solid color.

Has anyone else come up with some cool art patterns on the 5x5 or higher?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Walter Randelshofer keeps a great repository of 5x5 patterns at http://www.randelshofer.ch/rubik/patterns_professor.html. I've contributed quite a few patterns and optimizations to it.

By the way, since you mentioned a swastika, here's a 7x7 pattern and a 5x5 pattern. The move sequence to the 7x7 one's mine, the move sequence to the 5x5 one is by a "Mike G" (funny, that's my first name and last initial) back in 2005.

PS: I'm pretty sure it is actually possible to make ANY pattern (using only the 6 colors of course) on a given face of any NxNxN cube, as long as you don't care what the other faces look like.

Last edited:

sharpnova

i would disagree

there are definitely limitations on what art you can make. for example if you take a standard 3x3x3 and flip one edge, you've created a position that can't be reached.

also in the simple case of the swastika, you could not have the foreground be in a color that is adjacent to the color used for the background. if you want the foreground and background to be solid you'd have to use colors that are opposite.

Karthik

WCA
2008PUTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree to your disagreement.

there are definitely limitations on what artyou can make. for example if you take a standard 3x3x3 and flip oneedge, you've created a position that can't be reached.
PS: I'm pretty sure it is actually possible to make ANY pattern (using only the 6 colors of course) on a given face of any NxNxN cube, as long as you don't care what the other faces look like.

sharpnova

well

you're wrong.

can you give any reasons or logic behind what you're saying? i did.

sharpnova

the 5x5 link doesn't work. just takes me to a 5x5 cube with a couple 2x1 lines on the sides
Works for me, there should be a couple menus on the left under "Pretty Patterns" with loads of patterns.

same for me. but it doesn't take me to a 5x5 swastika pattern. and i couldn't find a 5x5 swastika pattern among those links. could you?

bundat

you're wrong.

He did.

there are definitely limitations on what artyou can make. for example if you take a standard 3x3x3 and flip oneedge, you've created a position that can't be reached.

Do you know what a "face" means?

Let's try your example...take a solved cube, and flip the white/green edge.
How do you duplicate this pattern on the WHITE FACE only?
Simply replace any edge on the white FACE with any edge that has a green sticker, the other sticker is irrelevant. Orient it such that the green sticker is on white FACE.

Is it clear now?

the 5x5 link doesn't work. just takes me to a 5x5 cube with a couple 2x1 lines on the sides
Works for me, there should be a couple menus on the left under "Pretty Patterns" with loads of patterns.

same for me. but it doesn't take me to a 5x5 swastika pattern. and i couldn't find a 5x5 swastika pattern among those links. could you?

It worked for me on the first try... I'm sorry did I do something wrong?

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02

Uhhh what? No one said it was a direct link to a swastika pattern (or even that it had one). Read the post. And also read your post:
He gave you a link to a pattern database, some of which he came up with or optimized himself. You said the link didn't work.

sharpnova

you're wrong.

He did.

Do you know what a "face" means?

Let's try your example...take a solved cube, and flip the white/green edge.
How do you duplicate this pattern on the WHITE FACE only?
Simply replace any edge on the white FACE with any edge that has a green sticker, the other sticker is irrelevant. Orient it such that the green sticker is on white FACE.

Is it clear now?

It worked for me on the first try... I'm sorry did I do something wrong?

JESUS. why so hostile?

No he didn't give logic or a reason. He just pasted the argument I was disagreeing with again.

I see what you mean and it makes perfect sense. Why the patronizing tone? Are you on meds or something? I was just asking for clarification I was not rude to anyone.

Why do you think I was saying you did something wrong? All I said was that it didn't work for me. Is this another one of those forums where people just act like rude jerks for no reason?

Could you simply post the link you went to? I took the incorrectly embedded url he typed and modified it so it was the same format as the 7x7 link. I got a cube with some turns done on it to put a couple 2x1 lines. I didn't get what you posted in your image though.

not_kevin

WCA
2008YOUN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
JESUS. why so hostile?

No he didn't give logic or a reason. He just pasted the argument I was disagreeing with again.

I see what you mean and it makes perfect sense. Why the patronizing tone? Are you on meds or something? I was just asking for clarification I was not rude to anyone.

Why do you think I was saying you did something wrong? All I said was that it didn't work for me. Is this another one of those forums where people just act like rude jerks for no reason?

Not normally, no. This is clearly evidenced by the many other threads where people are nice. However, in every forum there are the deviants.

sharpnova

Uhhh what? No one said it was a direct link to a swastika pattern (or even that it had one). Read the post. And also read your post:
He gave you a link to a pattern database, some of which he came up with or optimized himself. You said the link didn't work.

You're just wrong. He was directly linking to a 5x5 swastika pattern. He got the syntax wrong so the url wasn't embedded properly.

I said exactly what the link took me to. I took me to the database of patterns. I was trying to find the specific pattern he was directly linking to though.

When he fixed the URL I saw that the 3 was necessary. Aka repeating the sequence 3 times. Wasn't familiar with this brand of notation so having to paste the url gave me problems since i didn't know what to paste. Completely innocent on my part, and not warranting any of the attitude I've gotten from you or bundit.

Last edited:

sharpnova

Walter Randelshofer keeps a great repository of 5x5 patterns at http://www.randelshofer.ch/rubik/patterns_professor.html. I've contributed quite a few patterns and optimizations to it.

By the way, since you mentioned a swastika, here's a 7x7 pattern and a 5x5 pattern. The move sequence to the 7x7 one's mine, the move sequence to the 5x5 one is by a "Mike G" (funny, that's my first name and last initial) back in 2005.

thanks for modifying it. didn't know i needed the 3 there. new notation for me.

anyway. I modified the algorithm since your swastike was actually backwards. But nice algorithm nonetheless.

Is there a systematic method for generating a given pattern? Or is it just a matter of knowing lots of different algorithms so you have enough tools at your disposal to figure these things out?

Thanks again.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nah, there is no systematic method, just a lot of short 'building block' algorithms that cycle a few pieces or groups of pieces around, and the trick is to combine them into the pattern you are looking for. There is also CubeExplorer which will solve any 3x3 pattern directly and optimally.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
You're just wrong. He was directly linking to a 5x5 swastika pattern. He got the syntax wrong so the url wasn't embedded properly.

I said exactly what the link took me to. I took me to the database of patterns. I was trying to find the specific pattern he was directly linking to though.

You're right, my apologies. The only 5x5 link I saw was the one to the database and not the broken one to the specific pattern. I completely misunderstood.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
What's bad about the interface? I like it... just write the the link name then highlight, link button, and paste. So convenient. I used to do it by hand but I had no good reason for doing it that way.

bundat

I'm hostile? All I did was directly explain to you how YOU were wrong.
Just as how you were claiming earlier "well, you're wrong" in a very "as-a-matter-of-fact" tone, as if everyone else was wrong and you were the only one right, in a patronizing tone as well I might add.

I fail to see how a simple explanation coupled with a little sarcastic remark is "so horribly rude" as you make it seem, as compared to your personal attacks of "being on meds" or whatever. You'll notice my post has no personal attacks unlike yours, so this begs the question of who is the rude one.

If you'll take a closer look, it only has a detailed explanation, as well as a clickable link on the picture, which contains a very clearly readable fixed version of the link. But I guess you didn't even notice that because you were too hasty to judge it as "a rude post" and thus were too much in a hurry to say "I'm on meds" or whatever.