• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 Newbie question

Squircifer

Hi all!

I have received a 5x5x5 from a friend of mine who found it in his brother's attic.
I ahve a 3x3x3 down pat, but this one is a monster- Where would I find a beginner friendly dumbed down solution for this monster cube?

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

I don't have a 5X5, but couldn't you just solve the 3X3 in the middle and then solve as if the middle 3X3 were the center piece in a regular 3X3?

dougreed

Originally posted by LeftoverLinguine@Jul 11 2006, 05:03 PM
I don't have a 5X5, but couldn't you just solve the 3X3 in the middle and then solve as if the middle 3X3 were the center piece in a regular 3X3?
No. The 3x3 centers on the 5x5x5 do not behave exactly as a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube. Try applying a simple face turn on a 5x5x5 (or visualize it, if you don't have one handy) and imagine what is happening to the middle 3x3 stickers.

-Doug

mrCage

Hi :)

Ur best bet is to just search google and have a look at lots of solution sites. U should quite quickly find something that looks suitable.

There is sorta 2 schools for solving 5x5x5 or larger cubes in general.

- Either reduce to a 3x3x3 cube problem by doing all centers first and then pair up the edges > 3x3x3

- Or do some variation of layer by layer approach working from one side to another (and alternatively leave all centers to the end.

Other ways are also possible. One layer-by-layer approach that leaves centers last is the Courtney mc Farren method. U can read about it here:

5x5x5 solution

This approach is very similar to my own cage-method, but i don't have a site as of yet <_<

Best of luck :)

- Per