• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 edge help

EvanCahill

I need help orienting and permutating the 4 edge pieces in the 3rd layer of 5x5 cube. Does anyone know a single algorithm that can be used in any scenario to permutate and orient all/some of the 4 middle edge pieces in the 3rd layer of a 5x5? I realize the cube might have to be held differently or the 3rd layer positioned correctly to apply the algorithm. Someone gave me two different algorithm sets and was wondering if there was an easier way for every 3rd layer edge alignment. Thanks and the algorithms below are the ones someone suggested to me.

However, below are two algorithms you need to solve these 4 edges.
z 3R2 U2 3R2 U2 z' (adjacent 2 2-cycle)
z F2 3R2 U2 3R2 U2 F2 z' (diagonal 2 2-cycle)

In addition, you will need to solve three edges in the middle layer in some solves.
z 3R U2 3R' U2 z' (3-cycle)
z U2 3R U2 3R' z' (3-cycle) (the inverse of the first 3-cycle

EvanCahill

I am talking about all the different permutation and orientation situations for the 3rd layer edges.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
All the algs you gave are commutators. Edge commutators for a 5x5 are really easy to come up with for pretty much any case. It doesn't matter what method you're using.

Watch this video:

Last edited by a moderator: