• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 5x5x5 BLD: 11:20.24 by blah

blah

brah

First attempt today :) Haven't had time for too many attempts since my last video :(

Memo was 5:0x - my fastest by far (sped up by 32x in the video). Spent a little too long trying to decide on the orientation though, I seem to do that a lot :(

Comments/advice appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

blah

brah
Mike, relax. It's a PB. Freak solves happen from time to time.

I still average 15-ish. And my success rate is less than 10% :(

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike, relax. It's a PB. Freak solves happen from time to time.

I still average 15-ish. And my success rate is less than 10% :(

If you start after your 20 DNFs in a row, are you saying your success rate has been less than 10% since then? If so, you've had 3 successes that you've posted: 2 sub-13 and 1 sub-12 - does that mean you've done over 30 attempts since then? And that would mean your average over that time was around 12 minutes, not 15. Or perhaps you've had more bad solves to compensate, in which case you've done over 40 or even over 50 attempts since then?

I still suspect you've just gotten amazingly good thanks to all those recent attempts. Since you're really pretty accurate generally, I really think you have a good chance of hitting it in competition.

As for it being a PB and a freak solve, I've done many hundreds of attempts, but never had a PB within 2 minutes of yours. I genuinely believe I can't get a freak solve that fast (at least, not without months of additional practice). And you've posted 3 "freak solves" in the past week that are a minute or more better than my PB. So I really don't think you can chalk it up to freak solves. I simply am incapable of doing a 5x5x5 BLD as fast as you can. Or as fast as Tim can, for that matter. My current theoretical limit on a freak solve is about 13 minutes.

I had a 14:30 DNF last night; off by 3 wings due to an execution mistake - I cycled the wrong direction, not because of improper recall, but because I didn't think about it right when I applied the algorithm. :(

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04

First attempt today :) Haven't had time for too many attempts since my last video :(

Memo was 5:0x - my fastest by far (sped up by 32x in the video). Spent a little too long trying to decide on the orientation though, I seem to do that a lot :(

Comments/advice appreciated :)

Of course I am not the one to comment on speed, but I admire your
r- and l-slice moves! So effortless those seems to me. Very nice!

Last edited by a moderator: