• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5x5 Beginner Edge-Pairing Help

funcube44

Hi Cubers,

I would really like to know how to solve a 5x5x5 using a beginner 1 by 1 edge-pairing method because I do not understand how to place them 2 by 2 (By the way I went to sites like bigcubes.com and watched many videos on YouTube so I have done my 'homework'). I already know how to solve a 4x4x4 so I am not quite that of a noob. I also already completed my centers on the 5x5x5 so that is not necessary in any of your replies.
Please provide some good tips and algorithms were necessary.

Thank you!:)

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
The fact is that a 1 by 1 edge-pairing method is really not that much easier to learn than the AVG method, since you have to handle the final few edges, and a 1 by 1 method leaves you with several of those to deal with.

If you haven't tried the AVG method, you should try that first. It's probably actually easier to learn than a 1 by 1 method. (At least, in my opinion it is.) The reason it's easier is because the last few edges are almost as easy as the first ones are, and that's not true with a 1 by 1 method.

http://www.speedsolving.com/showthread.php?t=761
http://www.speedsolving.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

funcube44

Thank you Mike Hughey for replying to my thread but I do not fully understand what you are talking about. Does AVG mean average? If so the AVG method is the one that you posted in the two links below. If so (again!), that is the method I tried to follow but still didn't quite understand (I know now I am beginning to play difficult but that's the truth). If its possible can you please explain to me in easy-to-follow English Arnaud's method?

Thank you for your patience and cooperation!!:);)

Brian Le

AVG <i>is</i> Arnaud Van Galen. It's quite simple; just follow the video by Arnaud. His tutorial is probably the best one I've seen so far; easy to understand, precise, and quick. If you don't understand it, just ask others. But, try to grasp the concept yourself before you quickly post in the forum about you not understanding. I personally watched the video a few times, and I got the concept after that.