• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5 Questions From A Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! I would like to buy a 5x5 but am not sure which I should get. I'm referring to this page here: http://51morefun.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=5x5&x=0&y=0

My main question is would it be worth purchasing a v-cube for the price? Is a Qj or Shengshou better? Tiled or stickered? And do the first 2 cubes come with the stickers messed up like that? If it helps, I am a pretty rough solver and have temporarily given up on 4x4 because I tirelessly put my Eastsheen back together after it explodes because of the screws. I just don't want that to happen again.

I hope you can help me answer all of these questions. Thanks

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer question thread.

To answer your question. It depends. Do you want to support a monopolising company that will sue for rediculass crap and get a v-cube? Or do you want to support a company that has great cubes and get a shenshou?

Go for the shenshou.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
One answer question thread.

To answer your question. It depends. Do you want to support a monopolising company that will sue for rediculass crap and get a v-cube? Or do you want to support a company that has great cubes and get a shenshou?

Go for the shenshou.

I'm not sure what you mean by monopolising company. And why not the QJ? I was interested in them cause tiles seem cool

YouTube
Visit Channel
V-cubes doesn't want complete control. Verdes just wants his company to benefit from HIS invention. It's his intellectual property. Other companies have the right to release cubes above 5x5x5 if they want. It should just be a unique design. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool if the Shengshou 6x6x6 was possible to buy, but Verdes feels that it's copyright infringement for a reason.

Even if V-cubes did want complete control over who can use their design, doesn't every company want to prosper? There's nothing wrong with that. The bottom line is that v-cubes are very high quality cubes, and so are shengshou cubes. The v-cube 5 takes a lot more time to break in, and you can't adjust it, but it's not a bad cube at all. People need to stop acting like the V-cubes company is trying to ruin cubing.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
V-cubes doesn't want complete control. Verdes just wants his company to benefit from HIS invention. It's his intellectual property. Other companies have the right to release cubes above 5x5x5 if they want. It should just be a unique design. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool if the Shengshou 6x6x6 was possible to buy, but Verdes feels that it's copyright infringement for a reason.

Even if V-cubes did want complete control over who can use their design, doesn't every company want to prosper? There's nothing wrong with that. The bottom line is that v-cubes are very high quality cubes, and so are shengshou cubes. The v-cube 5 takes a lot more time to break in, and you can't adjust it, but it's not a bad cube at all. People need to stop acting like the V-cubes company is trying to ruin cubing.

So for price and quality and personal stuff (tensioning) Shengshou is the way to go?

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's still a matter of personal choice. I'm sure there are people that would much rather have a well broken in v-cube 5x5 than a shengshou 5x5. However, it's probably your best bet to get the shengshou. It will likely be good out of the box, and if you don't like it, you've only spent around $10, rather than $30-ish.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's still a matter of personal choice. I'm sure there are people that would much rather have a well broken in v-cube 5x5 than a shengshou 5x5. However, it's probably your best bet to get the shengshou. It will likely be good out of the box, and if you don't like it, you've only spent around $10, rather than $30-ish.
Is it likely to NOT break and for the screws to undo themselves? Cause that's my biggest concern.

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's more likely for that to happen on the shengshou than the v-cube (just because it actually has screws, rather than rivets), but as far as I know, nobody has had problems with this for ANY shengshou cube. I haven't even heard of this happening once with any shengshou cube.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's more likely for that to happen on the shengshou than the v-cube (just because it actually has screws, rather than rivets), but as far as I know, nobody has had problems with this for ANY shengshou cube. I haven't even heard of this happening once with any shengshou cube.

Ok sweet. I think I'll get one. So I have yet another question.... Is Shengshou the best 4x4 to get as well?

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No it won't.

Shenshou is better out of the box then a really good V5.

lol Opinions

To answer the question, it's a matter of personal preference. The majority of the people who care more about 5x5 seem to agree that a good V5 is the best one available. If you don't care much about it, and simply want an okay 5x5, then the SS is decent for its price.

Don't base your decision on people claiming a company is trying to monopolize a market. That has little to do with the quality of the product, and might not even be true in the first place.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
No it won't.

Shenshou is better out of the box then a really good V5.

That's your opinion. I'm sure people would disagree with you. I'm not disagreeing with you though.

Anyway, a shengshou v3 4x4 is a good cube, but again, it's a matter of opinion. I am pretty sure faz uses a dayan+mf8. Some people like the x-cube 4. If you're not a fan of bulky cubes, the mini dayan+mf8 is coming out. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Edit: Meep is absolutely right. Don't base your decision on people claiming that v-cubes is trying to monopolize cubing. Shengshou is great 5x5 according to many people, but you might want a v-cube in the future. There's nothing wrong with having both, and choosing which one you like better. Don't base your opinions of a cube on what other people say either. Use whichever one you prefer.

Last edited:

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's your opinion. I'm sure people would disagree with you. I'm not disagreeing with you though.

Anyway, a shengshou v3 4x4 is a good cube, but again, it's a matter of opinion. I am pretty sure faz uses a dayan+mf8. Some people like the x-cube 4. If you're not a fan of bulky cubes, the mini dayan+mf8 is coming out. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Edit: Meep is absolutely right. Don't base your decision on people claiming that v-cubes is trying to monopolize cubing. Shengshou is great 5x5 according to many people, but you might want a v-cube in the future. There's nothing wrong with having both, and choosing which one you like better. Don't base your opinions of a cube on what other people say either. Use whichever one you prefer.
Ok. So in terms of 4x4, I want a decent-awesome cornercutting one. One that doesn't break (like my ES) And one that's pretty cheap because I'm broke.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, the dayan+mf8 is usually a little more than $20. The Shengshou 4x4 varies from about $7-$11

Both of those are good. If you get the shengshou, make sure you get the version 3. I've heard the version 1 and 2 aren't nearly as good.

Penguino138

Banned
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, the dayan+mf8 is usually a little more than $20. The Shengshou 4x4 varies from about $7-$11

Both of those are good. If you get the shengshou, make sure you get the version 3. I've heard the version 1 and 2 aren't nearly as good.

Ok. There's sooo many cubes to choose from! I want to buy the Shengshou 4x4 and 5x5 and a stackmat i found for $15 (USD)

Status
Not open for further replies.