• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5x5 Edge Pairing

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
Hi,

I need help with my 5x5 edges. I use AVG, but I want to try a different method. Could someone please explain the method that Michael Gottlieb used here? I can't follow what he is doing because it is so fast. :p Thanks!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, you do the first 8 tredges 1 at atime, and you don't slice back. You just keep the 3 center layers parallel to each other, so after the first 8 are stored in the U&D / L&R slices, you slice back and finish the last 4 while doing the slice - slice back technique.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
uh... mine is just really an explanation of the variant I do. It's not really a tutorial on how to learn them, but I wouldn't suggest starting with mine, as I am very comfortable with the slices being where they are. I would look at bigcubes.com first, and get the idea of that method.

rxdeath

WCA
2005COCH01
Thats not really a very detailed describtion I think.. masteroffthebass has a tut on youtube I think?

I looked at that video that Frank made, but I find it hard to follow...

one of the things that even ron has mentioned (on speedcubing links) is that we have very clear and detailed descriptions of this particular reduction method. if you are having problems with a certain section mentioning exactly what is wrong will help us help you. also it seems you are new to 5x5, so don't expect to instantly understand everything the first time, you do have to put some time into it and really try.