• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proving 5-style

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Big news!

5-style documentation is getting a nice upgrade. All the stuff will be written now on readthedocs which is super neat way to create and maintain documentation.

https://5style-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It is still in the works, I am learning bit of sphinx command line for this.
I hope you guys get to enjoy the finished documentation some time!

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Big news!

5-style documentation is getting a nice upgrade. All the stuff will be written now on readthedocs which is super neat way to create and maintain documentation.

https://5style-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

It is still in the works, I am learning bit of sphinx command line for this.
I hope you guys get to enjoy the finished documentation some time!
That is cool, but there's a correction required. It is the biggest algset in existence, not one of the biggest that exists.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1880 days completed since I started out with 5-style. For the first couple of months, I was just trying out M U M' U' with various setups and finding images for letter quads ABXX.

So basically 19.3% of my lifetime, I have known about 5-style. But the time I have spent actively working on the set is ~4% of my waking time on earth.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some 5-style MBLD analysis. Let me know if some calculation is wrong:
  1. The average 3-cycle edge comm length is 8.6.
  2. The average number of 5-cycles for a large sample size of edges of a 3x3 is ~2.5 algs per cube and for the same scramble we have remaining ~4.5 algs for 3-cycle of corners + last edge target(s).
  3. The average edge comm length using 5-cycles is 10.6, so the solve length would roughly look like, 10.6x2.5 +8.6x4.5 = 26.5 + 38.7 = ~65.2 turns
  4. For a 100 MBLD cube attempt, it would be 65.2x100 = 6520 turns

Let's say we have a pauseless execution speed of 10TPS, we can complete the execution in 652 seconds or 10.86 minutes leaving, 49 minutes for memorization of 100 cubes. Sounds reasonable to me!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Some cool advanced techniques shared by top BLDers at a seminar at NAC:
  1. Grip cancelling - nice
  2. Parity Shifting - nice
  3. Buffer orientation tracking - I feel this is intermediate stuff.
  4. Buffer order - CEEC/ECCE neutrality and full floating
  5. Cycle break order - very important at the top level, best to make a sheet of drilled full floating and decide the order
  6. Visual memo - already doing it since 2013 nothing new in this
  7. Sandwich floating - ???
  8. Block commutators - not viable other than the parity alg
  9. 4-flips - too rare to learn them up
  10. Nested commutators - already used a lot in 5-style algs
  11. Trace Neutrality - after full floating, how to trace the floating algs the quickest
  12. Premoves to solve more pieces or avoid parity
  13. T2C - 3 twisted corners+parity, super niche and wont occur in too many solves.
  14. LTEF - very good last target + flipped edge, tough to gen good algs for this though
  15. LTCT - used already by top solves, it is a good algset and easy to learn

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
I think I've shared this idea on a discord server before, but thought it would be relevant here.

I feel like conjugated 5-style might be a more feasible approach to solving 4 pieces at a time.

Imagine using conjugates like in ayam/eka to set up a 5 cycle. It would be more like ayam since you are setting up 2 pieces, but then doing a subset of 5 style (with less algs than 3 style) to solve 4 pieces, and then undoing your setup moves.

It is less algs than 3 style and solves 4 pieces at a time, but the conjugation step is slow for setting up 2 pieces. I think that the best way to do it is just to do 2 3 style algs.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I've shared this idea on a discord server before, but thought it would be relevant here.

I feel like conjugated 5-style might be a more feasible approach to solving 4 pieces at a time.

Imagine using conjugates like in ayam/eka to set up a 5 cycle. It would be more like ayam since you are setting up 2 pieces, but then doing a subset of 5 style (with less algs than 3 style) to solve 4 pieces, and then undoing your setup moves.

It is less algs than 3 style and solves 4 pieces at a time, but the conjugation step is slow for setting up 2 pieces. I think that the best way to do it is just to do 2 3 style algs.
The average alg length for "fingertrickable" 5-cycles is 10.38 STM. And after some stackmatting I found that it is about 40% faster than executing 2 3-style algs. So I will stick with UF5.

What is ayam method @Skewbed ? I know BOP, eka, orozco but hearing ayam for the first time.

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
The average alg length for "fingertrickable" 5-cycles is 10.38 STM. And after some stackmatting I found that it is about 40% faster than executing 2 3-style algs. So I will stick with UF5.

What is ayam method @Skewbed ? I know BOP, eka, orozco but hearing ayam for the first time.
Ayam is when you set up two pieces at a time to a single 3 style case.
What I proposed is similar: set up two pieces and, and then use one of ~300 5 style cases.