• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5-conjugates game, aka blind-nightmare game.

evogler

WCA
2012VOGL01
I thought I'd share an interesting little game that (as far as I know) I thought of. It goes like this:

Do a scramble, execute R2 L2 U2 D2 (or M2 z M2 z if you prefer) then undo the scramble. What you're left with is 6 pairs of swapped edges and 4 pairs of swapped corners.
Solve the cube with exactly 5 algs (plus setups). Presumably most people will use PLLs, but any algs are permissible. (Bonus points if you can do it with fewer than 5).

Even non-blind, I enjoy this game. But I think the blind variation might have actual relevance to advanced blindsolvers.

If one were trying to expand one's 3-cycle-based method to include swapping pairs directly, this would be a good way to practice. At the least, in order to have more flexibility in solving parities, and perhaps to avoid having to use extra cycles to break into pairs in general.

Of course, there's a trade-off of efficiency vs. complexity of recognition and execution here, and for all I know there may already be a consensus that pair swapping isn't worth the trouble for competitive blindsolving (though I think I've heard of some of the top people using things like H perms on occasion). I think at the least it would be interesting practice, and a good way to explore this aspect of blind.

Or you could use it to prank your blindsolving enemies. :)

evogler

WCA
2012VOGL01
Sorry, to clarify:
Do a scramble, then R2 L2 U2 D2, then undo the scramble. Then solve.
e.g. L2 U D' R' L' B U R2 L2 U2 F' R' (R2 L2 U2 D2) R F U2 L2 R2 U' B' L R D U' L2