• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 5.70 fail Clock avg5 (4.78 single, 5.09 mo3)

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(4.78), 5.09, 5.41, 6.59, (DNF)
Code:
1. 4.78   
UU u-2 dU u-5 dd u-4 Ud u=0 dU u+4 Ud u=0 UU u+5 UU u-4 UU u=0 dd     dd
dd d+2 dU d+1 UU d-4 Ud d-2 UU     UU     Ud     dU     UU     dd d+1 UU 
2. 5.09   
UU u=0 dU u=0 dd u=0 Ud u-1 dU u-2 Ud u=0 UU u-2 UU u+2 UU u-4 dd     dd
dd d+2 dU d=0 UU d+1 Ud d-2 UU     UU     Ud     dU     UU     dd d+5 dU 
3. 5.41   
UU u+2 dU u+1 dd u-1 Ud u+1 dU u+2 Ud u+6 UU u-4 UU u-5 UU u-1 dd     Ud
dd d-5 dU d+2 UU d=0 Ud d-3 UU     UU     Ud     dU     UU     dd d+4 Ud 
4. 6.59   
UU u+6 dU u-2 dd u+4 Ud u+2 dU u+1 Ud u-3 UU u=0 UU u+1 UU u-5 dd     dd
dd d-5 dU d+3 UU d-2 Ud d-2 UU     UU     Ud     dU     UU     dd d-3 dU
I may have misscrambled by one move on the second solve, but the gist of the solve was the same.
Anyway, that was a stupid easy scramble and should have been sub5 too. Then the last two solves were really stressful.
Lost the 5th scramble because I deleted the wrong DNF, not that it matters much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, if my Nationals performance and my inability to sub-9 in comp the last month weren't demotivating enough, this definitely was. :p

This is beyond impressive though. One thing that I noticed is that you have lightning fast pins, which I think might be a limiting factor for myself. Not to mention the turning speed/accuracy, but I think that is clearly implied in the video. :)

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks everyone! For those who haven't seen, these were my times from a few days ago, so a sub6 global average is definitely possible!

Such TPS. Such record breaking time.
Have you ever even considered trying "no rotation" solving?
I have considered it, but the flip honestly doesn't take much time and offers a sense of security via a direct view of the pieces I'm solving.

Well, if my Nationals performance and my inability to sub-9 in comp the last month weren't demotivating enough, this definitely was. :p

This is beyond impressive though. One thing that I noticed is that you have lightning fast pins, which I think might be a limiting factor for myself. Not to mention the turning speed/accuracy, but I think that is clearly implied in the video. :)
Lay off on the skewb for a bit? :p
Actually, my accuracy (especially under pressure) still needs work - I had hoped for a good avg12 but started DNFing after the first 4 solves of this video.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have considered it, but the flip honestly doesn't take much time and offers a sense of security via a direct view of the pieces I'm solving.
This seems to be the consensus from fast solvers. They aren't sure enough that they would get it right and don't think it takes much time. But isn't that just a matter of practising? I only practised it for an afternoon years ago and hardly ever failed and I am quite bad at Clock (and blind)

Laura O

WCA
2009OHRN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems to be the consensus from fast solvers. They aren't sure enough that they would get it right and don't think it takes much time. But isn't that just a matter of practising? I only practised it for an afternoon years ago and hardly ever failed and I am quite bad at Clock (and blind)

Well, I seriously practised no-flip solves some time ago (somewhen when there was this not worth mentioning no-flip WR...)...
The main problem with that is the "translation": you don't just align the clocks, you have to count the moves or apply them to the clocks you can see. I think that slows your moves down, even with a lot of practice.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I seriously practised no-flip solves some time ago (somewhen when there was this not worth mentioning no-flip WR...)...
The main problem with that is the "translation": you don't just align the clocks, you have to count the moves or apply them to the clocks you can see. I think that slows your moves down, even with a lot of practice.

I'm practicing no flip quite a lot right now and I agree right now it is not worth it to do them in competition. However, I think if 2 adjacent edges are solved to a centre I definitely believe it can get just as fast with enough practice, it's just very difficult initially.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think no flip could be good, especially for faces which require 3 or less 'moves' to solve. I feel like with enough practise you could track the corners just as well as you would track the first face. I might also practise it for a while and see what happens :)

On topic: I notice for the first solve, you do your last move on the first face with all the pins up, do an x2 rotation and then put the lower left pin up. Is this a regular thing that you do? (I think for that scramble, I would have probably put the lucky case on the back so I could do an x2 into it, actually...)

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On topic: I notice for the first solve, you do your last move on the first face with all the pins up, do an x2 rotation and then put the lower left pin up. Is this a regular thing that you do? (I think for that scramble, I would have probably put the lucky case on the back so I could do an x2 into it, actually...)
Yeah, putting all the pins up before the "adjust to 12" turn and putting the first pin up only after the rotation is an old habit that I haven't made any effort to change; maybe I should try to now. As for choosing which side to start on, I consider which pins are up/down and possible "adjust to 12" skips but am pretty indifferent otherwise. In this case both sides give an "adjust to 12" skip and require me to push one pin down at the start, so it was basically a toss-up.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, putting all the pins up before the "adjust to 12" turn and putting the first pin up only after the rotation is an old habit that I haven't made any effort to change; maybe I should try to now. As for choosing which side to start on, I consider which pins are up/down and possible "adjust to 12" skips but am pretty indifferent otherwise. In this case both sides give an "adjust to 12" skip and require me to push one pin down at the start, so it was basically a toss-up.
I see. The way I finish pins (UL UR DL up) means that if I do a y2 then the lower left pin is already up, or the upper right pin is up if i do an x2 (sometimes i do x2 z' to get the upper left pin up, but only in a couple of cases). I like your way because you could cut out y2s with it altogether, but i feel like i'd fumble the first pin on the second face more often than not :p

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I see. The way I finish pins (UL UR DL up) means that if I do a y2 then the lower left pin is already up, or the upper right pin is up if i do an x2 (sometimes i do x2 z' to get the upper left pin up, but only in a couple of cases). I like your way because you could cut out y2s with it altogether, but i feel like i'd fumble the first pin on the second face more often than not :p
Ah, I thought you left the specific pin you would start with down so it would already be up after the rotation; that's what I'd switch to, if anything. I wouldn't want to avoid y2s altogether; the locations of lucky cases and/or small (1-3) turns dictates the rotation I do, and sometimes that's still y2.