• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4Z4: a new 4x4 method for ZZ users

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
PapaSmurf Cubes
Hi guys.

I had this idea a few months ago now, and I've been using it ever since (with yau for good yau scrambles). I'm not that fast on 4x4, but I'm approaching a 50 global average with it, and I have a 40 single and a low 40s ao5. It's based off yau, so the movecount should be about the same.

1. Solve your L and R centres and put them on L and R. For example on 3x3, I normally have red/orange on L and R, so I'll solve them.

2. Solve a pseudo yau cross. For this step, there are 3 type of edges: line edges (so for me, white/green and white blue), the LD edge (so either white/red or white/orange) and any random edge (which includes your RD edge). You solve these the same way as in yau, and you place them orientated on your L centre. You solve 3 of them, making sure that you don't solve both line edges.

3. L4C. Exactly the same as yau. 4 centres on the M slice.

4. You now need to solve the final cross edge that you didn't solve in step 2. For example, let's say I solved a line edge and 2 random other edges. I'd now have to solve my DL edge and put it on my L centre orientated. Remember, you can't solve both line edges, only one.

5. Put your L centre on D. You now have 3-2-3 edge pairing like with yau. You could also do 6-2 if you want.

6. You then solve the line. The way I like doing this is by placing the line edge that I haven't put on my L centre at DR and using L moves to place the other one (the one that is on L) on D. I'd then Use a D move to solve them completely. I'd normally do this in my 3x3 orientation.

7. Put your R centre on front and do Petrus style eo. If you have a U/D edge and the U/D colour is facing you, it is misorientated. If you have an e slice edge, if your F/B colour is facing you, it is misorientated. You then use <RULF>, with R/L flipping the edges. You have to flip two at a time (unless you use the M slice, where you can flip 4). You also do parity at this point. I currently don't have an eoline preserving parity alg that's shorter than normal parity. [EDIT] Rw U2 Rw2 U' Rw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U Rw2 U2 Rw2 U R2 U' Rw'

8. Put your F/B centres on F/B with a y rotation, then good old ZZF2L.

9. COLL

10. EPLL+parity. There are 5 extra algs, one of them being the standard parity alg, another being *sexy* parity *inverse sexy*.

Let me know your thoughts, and it would be great to have some people to switch to it. IMO (slightly biased), this is the first viable speedsolving method for ZZ on 4x4.

Last edited: