• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4x4 speed - what's the best method

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so. i know how to solve the revenge...so i'm looking now for some tutorials for speed? is there a one method that is most used? or are there more different methods?
where can i learn the 4x4x4 for SPEED, not beginner?
what are the best links?

sorry if it has been asked before

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The most common method is reduction. First, you solve the centers, then group the edges, and then solve like a 3x3. Chris Hardwick has a tutorial on speedcubing.com. Frank Morris' site also has a 4x4 tutorial bigcubes.com. There's other methods, k4 in particular, but there's no real documentation on them other than some youtube videos.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Does anyone know a site for awkward cases with the 6 chain method?

Which cases? I'd like to discuss the "awkward" cases. I've been working on 6 pairing for sometime now, and have found some decent ways to fix most, but some are still odd. I'd like to find a site about them as well, or discuss them here sometime.

F

FU

Which cases? I'd like to discuss the "awkward" cases. I've been working on 6 pairing for sometime now, and have found some decent ways to fix most, but some are still odd. I'd like to find a site about them as well, or discuss them here sometime.

I have a problem when you have already staggered 2 pairs then the edge piece you need to form the third pair is under the very first piece of the first pair.

Someting like

A B C
C A B

Also, sometimes I slice the centers to form 3 pairs, only to find out I can only form one dedge before slicing the centers back, because the available edge piece is stuck in a position such that it is like (after slicing centers)

A B C D
A B C E

then when I insert D into the position of C C

A B E D
A B D E

So frustrating, and my timing for 4x4x4 is very very horrible (not that it is that great when everything flows smoothly anyway) when I encounter such cases, because I just pair every single dedge using d R F' U R' F d' when I have trouble using 6-chain.

annon

I've actually devised a 9-at-once method, basically the 6-at-once, except when I go to solve the last center, I leave it one turn from solved, then I put my edges on that row and get an extra 3 solved before starting the 6.

Granted, because of my terrible finger speed on the 4x4, I struggle to get sub-2 times, but I can assume this is at least a decent method for edge pairing.

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01

when I encounter such cases, because I just pair every single dedge using d R F' U R' F d' when I have trouble using 6-chain.
Me too, and it takes forever. :(

philkt731

WCA
2007THOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think for edges on reduction method, a good way is to do 6 2 2 2 because the n you don't have to deal with awkward cases and also it is set up nicely for 2s after the six with only one unsolved edge in the rl (M) slices or ud (E) slices (whichever you use)