• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 questions for getting better.

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel
ive had a 4x4x4 for a bit now and i use reduction method and can get around 3 minutes average with 2:32 as pb, is this good? normal or bad?

id much like to learn a faster method than reduction so what would be some good methods to look at? and good websites with these methods on.
so yeh, basically is my time bad or good or average and anybetter faster methods out there?

cheers :)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but reduction has been the best method around for a long time. I believe people have been experimenting with more advanced methods lately, but they are too advanced for you as a beginner. People can average sub50 with reduction, so you have no excuse :p

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice to see you found that button. ;)

Reduction is (many people would argue) the fastest method around. With practise it can be extremely fast. I teach it crap, so you might want to relearn it all.

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel
well with the so called faster method... i would of course... practise... i dont plan on doing it once. lol. do you know of any? thank you :)

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel
tut really fastest around... that sucks...well ognna have to get better then oviously...

and im not that much of a begginner, just begginner on 4x4.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
My averages are around the same as your's. Typical average is around 3:00 with a PB of around 2:00. Do you use single, double, or triple edge pairing? I myself use double, and can tell you that I spend TONS of time searching for edge pieces. I'm sure that I could cut my overall average down by at least :30 if I could eliminate all of that searching. Also, keep in mind that the final step is a 3x3 solve, which means that your times will be very dependant on your 3x3 average.

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Check the puzzle theory section, where I believe qqwref made a post about a method hybrid for the 4x4. That's about as far as it goes at the moment.

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
Make sure you have a good cube, and make sure you have nice parity algs. They will help. Also, If you want, you could practice 3x3 solves on your 4x4 so you can get used to it. But pretty much what everyone else said above

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel
My averages are around the same as your's. Typical average is around 3:00 with a PB of around 2:00. Do you use single, double, or triple edge pairing? I myself use double, and can tell you that I spend TONS of time searching for edge pieces. I'm sure that I could cut my overall average down by at least :30 if I could eliminate all of that searching. Also, keep in mind that the final step is a 3x3 solve, which means that your times will be very defendant on your 3x3 average.

nice to know someone else is tha same :)
i still use single edge pairing so i guess that will be my next step to learn, double or triple.. know of anywhere good tolearn that?
and yes the edge searching sucks lol

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
My averages are around the same as your's. Typical average is around 3:00 with a PB of around 2:00. Do you use single, double, or triple edge pairing? I myself use double, and can tell you that I spend TONS of time searching for edge pieces. I'm sure that I could cut my overall average down by at least :30 if I could eliminate all of that searching. Also, keep in mind that the final step is a 3x3 solve, which means that your times will be very defendant on your 3x3 average.

i still use single edge pairing so i guess that will be my next step to learn, double or triple.. know of anywhere good tolearn that?
Dude. I'm the same too. Also, there is a edit button.

Charybdis

YouTube
Visit Channel

Dude. I'm the same too. Also, there is a edit button.

my post wasnt showing up, so there wasnt an edit button to click man... so i had to retype... then when i posted that lo and behold my firs tpost appeared...

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Well, the most important is not to use the so-called "fastest method", it's to use the method with which *you* will go the fastest. I suck horribly with reduction (I'm even slower than you), mainly because I really don't enjoy solving a big cube that way; that doesn't prevent me from getting much faster than that with a method that I like (sandwich, which can also go very fast).

Kurama

WCA
2008BAOY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I think that the method is not important .The really Important is Practise

I have used a lot of methods to pairing edges, and at the end I always use the first that i learnt.
I have paired edges
-1 by 1
-2 by 2 (That's which I use)
-'Advanced Method' (3 by 3)
-Using 'Dan Cohen' Method (That explains in a Video)

So, If I were you, I forget about learning advanced methods, and I practise one to improve it.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yes, this should help you a lot.

I don't think this will help at all. I believe Mr. Akkersdijk use(d?) 2 at a time edge pairing and was getting sub50 averages with it.