• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 OLL Parity for 5x5 single edge flip?

linkmaster03

Before someone tells me it's really a double wing flip, I know, cause Charles told me. 8D

But, when I do my OLL parity (and do x to restore the position) it doesn't just flip the edge. It like, swaps the UF and UB wings and flips the UF wing. >_>

27augwed0032en6.png

When I do the alg bigcubes.com shows, it does it correctly. But why won't the 4x4 OLL parity that I already know work? Charles says it does for him. But then again he's mostly a lying bastard. :confused:

27augwed0033bm4.png

Algs were performed from a solved state for simplicity.

linkmaster03

The alg is right up there lol... it was also done with a simulator up there as well.

(Ll)2 B2 (Ll) U2 (Ll) U2 x' U2 (Ll) U2 (Ll)' U2 (Ll) U2 (Ll)2 U2

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The answer can be found at bigcubes.com. Your 4x4x4 OLL parity algorithm is essentially their "double parity" algorithm. That particular algorithm actually does both OLL and PLL parity at the same time.

Most people use that for 4x4x4 OLL parity because it doesn't hurt to do the PLL parity fix at the same time because you have a 50% chance of needing it anyway, and that algorithm is faster than the pure parity algorithm (the "single edge flip"). But for 5x5x5, you have the middle edges to show where you really are, so you need to use both, depending on the situation.

Or you can use AVG's method and just need a single parity algorithm to cover every case. :)

And yeah, Charles is lying. :p

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gee, thanks Mike. I didn't really lie though. He asked what I asked for the "single edge flip" or as it should be called, the "adjacent wing swap." I just told him to use his 4x4 OLL parity. I didn't think he'd make the mistake of learning the one that doesn't work on 5x5.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Gee, thanks Mike. I didn't really lie though. He asked what I asked for the "single edge flip" or as it should be called, the "adjacent wing swap." I just told him to use his 4x4 OLL parity. I didn't think he'd make the mistake of learning the one that doesn't work on 5x5.

Ah, so he was the one who was lying, not you. :)

But does that mean you use the single-parity algorithm for 4x4x4 OLL parity? You should really try switching to the double-parity algorithm for 4x4x4, like he uses. It can be significantly faster to execute.

linkmaster03

No Mike. He's a lying scum *****, I'm not the one lying:

Code:
18:59 <linkmaster03> tell me the goddamn alg you mother****ing bastard
19:01 <Charles> l2 B2 l U2 l U2 (x') U2 l U2 l' U2 l U2 l2 U2
19:01 <Charles> there, happy?
19:01 <linkmaster03> wtf?!
19:01 <linkmaster03> THATS MY EXACT ****ING ALG
19:01 <Charles> you're messing up then
19:01 <Charles> what happens when you apply it?
19:01 <linkmaster03> ok
19:01 <linkmaster03> well
19:01 <linkmaster03> it ****s up both edges
19:01 <linkmaster03> tredges

Code:
08:11 <Charles> you're probably doing them the wrong way
08:12 <Charles> fine
08:12 <Charles> i just did it
08:12 <Charles> it works

On a lighter note, THANK YOU MIKE HUGHEY. :D

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
wow, i've never heard of that alg, but unfortunately the site doesn't work, because the java plugin is outdated, or is that just me?
I put a list of better/faster such algorithms here on the 4x4x4 parity algorithms speedsolving wiki page. This page should be an "eye opener" for what's out there regarding 4x4x4 parity algorithms, and thus I hope you enjoy it for many years to come as you continue to gain more knowledge of 4x4x4 parity algorithms in general. :)

The algorithms on that page are linked to alg.cubing.net which is not Java-based, and I believe it's compatible with any internet viewing device.