• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2012CHIE01
How to actually get Sub 1:40 on 4x4?

I am awful at 4x4. I use yau, and I get 2 minutes average on my Aosu. I average 22 seconds on 3x3 so I'm really surprised. My centers are extremely slow. How can I get faster at 4x4 in general?

Breakdown:

Centers 50/1:00
Edges 30
3x3 30

Thanks,

Computer

Practice. At your speed, just doing a lot of solves is the best way to get faster.

TanookiTrev

Hey, I'm 53-54 on 4x4. I really need to get sub - 50. I use reduction 3-2-2-2-3 edges. I don't I'll switch to yau or hoya. So what is it that I can do.
I see that Yau and Hoya are very fast methods. But i can't get really good times with it.
here is a list of what you could suggest:
1. I use shengshou v5 konsta modded only. Should i buy a Weisu or Aosu?
2. I know full pll and 45 olls, should learn full OLL.
3. should I turn faster, or should I look ahead into solves?

Any more tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all tips.

Sukesh

You should expect to be slower initially when you switch from one method to another. It takes a while to adjust. Maybe you could commit to Hoya or Yau for a while before making a decision? Assuming you haven't already.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I've ordered my first 4x4, an Aosu. I have absolutely no idea about 4x4 methods or how it is solved. What are parities? Can anyone fill me out.

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've ordered my first 4x4, an Aosu. I have absolutely no idea about 4x4 methods or how it is solved. What are parities? Can anyone fill me out.
Well a good method to start with, I think, is reduction but there are many others. It's very simple and easy to learn. You basically turn your 4x4 or reduce it down to a 3x3 and then solve it like a 3x3. Parities are something that can't happen on a 3x3. For example it's possible to get an edge that is flipped the wrong way, two corners switched, or a cross on with only 3 edges oriented correctly instead of two or four. There are both OLL parities and PLL parities. All this means for you though is that you will have to learn some new algs but for the most part, 4x4 is very intuitive.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yau or K4 or Hoya?
I don't know about K4 either, but Yau and Hoya are very fast. I would recommend just learning reduction to start with though. They are both pretty much reduction with some different aspects which both have pros and cons. When you learn edge pairing, learn just regular kindv'e freestyle edge pairing wlthat you do one at a time, then when you can get that maybe sub 3:00 average, learn 32223 edge pairing. Once you can get that maybe sub 2:30, learn one of those methods that you asked about. If you choose Yau, 323 edge pairing is really fast, i don't know as much about hoya. For parities, CrazyBadCuber's videos were a good way of explaining what they are, and how to recognize them, but you'll pretty much recognize them to start out with when you are solving the 3x3 stage and say "WTF, that can't happen on a 3x3?" later you'll begin to recognize them much earlier and quicker. Look on the Wiki if you want faster algs than Dan's though. Good luck!

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yau or K4 or Hoya?

You should really learn reduction first before learning one of those methods. If you don't know how to solve a 4x4 yet then you probably won't understand how to do those methods or at the very least you'll probably struggle with them. Don't worry about speed at this point if that's what you're concerned about. Just worry about learning how to solve a 4x4.Speed will come later. Once you are comfortable with reduction and can solve a 4x4 in less than 2:30 then I recommend switching to a more advanced method. But whenever you switch is up to you. I use Yau with 323, sometimes 62, edge pairing and I think it's pretty fast and it's really easy to learn if you know reduction. Hoya and K4 as well as cage are also popular methods but I don't know a lot about them other than how to execute them.

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
3 cross edges of 4x4 Yau

Hi, haven't posted here in a long ass time. Anyway why am I still seeing people solve and put their first 3 cross edges in their correct places? If you do this, then after you've finished the centers you're going to have to make the 4th cross piece, take it out and place it in the opposite layer, then finish the centers, then finally place the 4th cross piece.

This is RIDICULOUS. I've been telling people for years a more efficient way to make the cross but I still see even pro speedcubers not do it.

When making the 3 cross pieces, place 1 cross piece in the incorrect place. Then when you've finished centers, make the 4th cross piece. Place it in the cross layer with just 3-4 moves. Then you immediately start solving the rest of the edges. It's that easy. Stop wasting time and moves and stop pissing me off. Peace.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
Hi I am new to 4x4 and I use reduction. I don't understand LL at all. What algs do I use for OLL/PLL?No matter what I do, I can not get my LL Oriented. Please help.

Bindedsa

WCA
2014NURU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi I am new to 4x4 and I use reduction. I don't understand LL at all. What algs do I use for OLL/PLL?No matter what I do, I can not get my LL Oriented. Please help.

When doing OLL, if you see 1/3 edges oriented do OLL parity. I use: Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Lw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 x' Rw' U2 Rw'. When on PLL if you see a case that you do not see on 3x3 do: r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2. that's a simple version I would watch this video to get more detail, the algorithms are different, but the idea is the same.

Last edited:

Future Cuber

When doing OLL, if you see 1/3 edges oriented do OLL parity. I use: Rw U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 Rw U2 Lw' U2 Rw U2 Rw' U2 x' Rw' U2 Rw'. When on PLL if you see a case that you do not see on 3x3 do: r2 U2 r2 Uw2 r2 Uw2. that's a simple version I would watch this video to get more detail, the algorithms are different, but the idea is the same.

Are you sure the akg is correct ???? :confused:
Should there be a X somewhere in the middle
I might be wrong though...