• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suratha

I use yau and averaging around 95 seconds . I want to know how to get better at last eight dedges because I am really slow at last eight dedges . :(

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
WCA
2014TIUA01
I use 3-2-3 only . But I am having difficulties with finding the edges .

Don't know what you mean by "only" 3-2-3, but basically, this method makes look-ahead really easy. When you slice to break centers, make sure to take note of the color orientation of the bottom left edge (single edge, not dedge) and then you can smoothly transition into looking for its pair. Now, repeat

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I use 3-2-3 edge pairing and yau and can't seem to average sub 2 on 4x4, any advice?!

A video of you solving would be very helpful. There isnt much to tell without it since 3-2-3 edgepairing with yau can do sub 30 solves. You are most likely spending too much time finding the first 3 cross edges and with the rest of the transitions.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yau, me, and Dupree

So I bought a 4x4 a few months back, and never really bothered with it. I found some terrible parity algs, and solved it a couple of times, then put it on the shelf next to my HuanYing (NOISIEST CUBE IN HISTORY, BOO!), and forgot about it.

This weekend just gone, I decided to solve it. I did a few solves, using my own patented edge pairing method: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2. It's badass. (Actually, it's terrible) Anyhoo, I looked up Yau tutorials, and found a decent one, and now I think I basically do 3-1(cross edges)-3-3-2.

I'm fairly comfortable with the method - I worked out everything but parity myself, so I understood the cube pretty well before I looked into Yau. My question is this:

You finish your cross with Yau, and the first pair of edges/dedge you look at is, for argument's sake, red/yellow and blue/orange. So you find the first matching edge and start to insert it ready to insert two more dedges and slice - say you found the other red/yellow edge. As you're inserting it, you're checking the edge it's attached to, and scanning the cube for it's partner edge... when you realise the edge it's attached to is the other blue/orange edge (i.e. you have two matching pairs of edges). You can't complete a 3-pair slice. Ohno!

Do you just solve the two pairs of edges, then carry on with a 3-slice. I seem to remember watching Cyoubix' Yau walkthroughs a few months back, and he talks about 'special cases' when edge pairing. I guess this is one of them?

What to do, what to do?

Anyway, I'm glad I joined the cult of 4x4. Maybe one day I'll solve my 5x5 a few times and get into that too, but there's just too many different edge parities for my liking!

help with a 4x4x4 cube

I am by no means a speed cuber, heck I am not even a good novice cuber. I have been playing with my 4x4x4 and I am stuck. Can anyone help me?20131130_091011.jpg20131130_091003.jpg thank you!

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
I always find that 4x4 speeds up my 3x3 times. For that reason I'm going to focus on 4x4 over the Christmas break and try to do an hour every day to get below 50 seconds.

So I bought a 4x4 a few months back, and never really bothered with it. I found some terrible parity algs, and solved it a couple of times, then put it on the shelf next to my HuanYing (NOISIEST CUBE IN HISTORY, BOO!), and forgot about it.

This weekend just gone, I decided to solve it. I did a few solves, using my own patented edge pairing method: 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2. It's badass. (Actually, it's terrible) Anyhoo, I looked up Yau tutorials, and found a decent one, and now I think I basically do 3-1(cross edges)-3-3-2.

I'm fairly comfortable with the method - I worked out everything but parity myself, so I understood the cube pretty well before I looked into Yau. My question is this:

You finish your cross with Yau, and the first pair of edges/dedge you look at is, for argument's sake, red/yellow and blue/orange. So you find the first matching edge and start to insert it ready to insert two more dedges and slice - say you found the other red/yellow edge. As you're inserting it, you're checking the edge it's attached to, and scanning the cube for it's partner edge... when you realise the edge it's attached to is the other blue/orange edge (i.e. you have two matching pairs of edges). You can't complete a 3-pair slice. Ohno!

Do you just solve the two pairs of edges, then carry on with a 3-slice. I seem to remember watching Cyoubix' Yau walkthroughs a few months back, and he talks about 'special cases' when edge pairing. I guess this is one of them?

What to do, what to do?

Anyway, I'm glad I joined the cult of 4x4. Maybe one day I'll solve my 5x5 a few times and get into that too, but there's just too many different edge parities for my liking!

When this happens, you can just u' [insert 1 to FR]u2 [insert 2 to FL]. The first insert will be irrelevant, but you'll keep an eye on the pieces to know which piece you insert the second time so that when you u back to completed centres, you have another compleded dedge.

Or, if you spot it before and are so inclined, you can [flip] u' [flip] u to solve the two at once.

Last edited by a moderator:

fall

hi everyone, i have a problem. I have everything solved except for the corners, they're all misoriented and in the wrong places, how would i fix those?