• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
I have a competition in 3 weeks, and the cutoff for 4x4 is 1:10. As of right now, I average 1:15 and occasionally get sub 1:10.

If there’s any tips you guys have that can make me improve ~5 seconds on 4x4 quickly, could you tell me thanks

Also here is a multi-phase solve that I did for an example:

First 2 Centers: 4.01
3 Cross edges: 12.72
Last 4 centers; 26.73
Edge Pairing: 41.87
F2L: 48.22
OLL (parity): 56.41
PLL (parity): 1:04.96
what got me from sub 1 to sub 55 was looking ahead in the stages involving edges (Yau edges, edge pairing after centres), working on that makes the solve smoother

GodCubing

I tried it a few years ago. It's okay but doesn't seem ideal; you need to be able to distinguish the two wings (which ones belong in the second layer versus in the third layer), which might be especially difficult if you're at least dual CN.

Edge pairing should be pretty straightforward: slice to make pair, replace, slice back to make another pair. Basically the "2-3" in Yau's 3-2-3 pairing, repeated until all the edges are paired.
Ok, thanks. I was wondering whether there was a better way to do edge pairing. Also, can I skip some of EO?

xyzzy

Ok, thanks. I was wondering whether there was a better way to do edge pairing. Also, can I skip some of EO?
You have five edge pairs already done, which is as much as you'll be "skipping".

It looks like most human-usable edge pairing methods that try to simultaneously pair edges and solve EO are awful in one way or another. It's theoretically possible to gen algs for this (L3E + EO of all dedges has ~50-100 cases if you set up the two/three unpaired edges to fixed locations), though the software doesn't exist yet and half of the cases will be 14+ moves long because of parity. Easier to just solve EO on its own after reduction is done; I believe the 4Z4 method does that too.

GodCubing

You have five edge pairs already done, which is as much as you'll be "skipping".

It looks like most human-usable edge pairing methods that try to simultaneously pair edges and solve EO are awful in one way or another. It's theoretically possible to gen algs for this (L3E + EO of all dedges has ~50-100 cases if you set up the two/three unpaired edges to fixed locations), though the software doesn't exist yet and half of the cases will be 14+ moves long because of parity. Easier to just solve EO on its own after reduction is done; I believe the 4Z4 method does that too.
Ur supposed to do EO after getting to 3x3 stage, but I don't. Thanks!

xyzzy

Can someone give me the easiest oll parity for when it’s just one edge is flipped? I’m old and apparently stupid so I don need the fastest, just the easiest. Thanks
Do you mean a "pure" OLL parity alg (flip one edge pair, affect nothing else) or just a plain old OLL parity alg (flip one edge pair, possibly move around some corners)?

If you mean the latter, here's one found by Christopher Mowla (adapted for fingertricks):
x' u' (R' u R F2)5 u x

If you mean the former, do any normal OLL parity alg then fix whatever needs fixing afterwards.

GodCubing

But would writing out one of those algs actually answer the request for an alg that is easy to learn?
Yes, at least for me. When I ask for an alg I want one. I guess I'm just a very straightforward person and read this a little to literally
Can someone give me the easiest oll parity for when it’s just one edge is flipped? I’m old and apparently stupid so I don need the fastest, just the easiest. Thanks
https://speedcubedb.com/a/4x4/OLLParity/Purelook through these algs and pick one

xyzzy

Okay, come on, this isn't even answering the same question. Have you even looked at what the algs on that page do? Despite the title, most of them are not pure single dedge flips.

Yes, at least for me. When I ask for an alg I want one. I guess I'm just a very straightforward person and read this a little to literally
Yeah, and maybe if you asked without also explicitly prioritising ease-of-learning over everything else, that's how I would have answered. But you weren't the one who asked.

GodCubing

Okay, come on, this isn't even answering the same question. Have you even looked at what the algs on that page do? Despite the title, most of them are not pure single dedge flips.

Yeah, and maybe if you asked without also explicitly prioritising ease-of-learning over everything else, that's how I would have answered. But you weren't the one who asked.
Fair

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

It probably cannot get any easier than something like these:
Uw'
m F
U' 2R' U F2
U' 2R' U F2
U' 2R' U F2
U' 2R' U F2
U' 2R' U F2
F m'
Uw
[Link]

Uw L' R
L' U' 2R U L U2
L' U' 2R U L U2
L' U' 2R U L U2
L' U' 2R U L U2
L' U' 2R U L U2
U2
L R' Uw'
[Link]

Uw' L' R
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
U2
L R' Uw
[Link]

They are just (2R U2)4 2R with 1-2 setup moves around the 2R move.
(2R U2)4 2R
=
2R U2
2R U2
2R U2
2R U2
2R
=
2R U2
2R U2
2R U2
2R U2
2R U2
U2

So if you add, say, the setup moves R2 U' before every 2R and undo with U R2, you get:
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
U2

And then do a few conjugates to make a single dedge flip:
Uw' L' R
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
R2 U' 2R U R2 U2
U2
L R' Uw

It's possible that the entire sequence is what's repeated except for one move, but it's nastier.
(2L' B2 2L B2 U2 F2 D2 2L D2 F2)4 2R'

And it's possible that all of the moves of the alg are the result of a repeated sequence, but those can be very long:
(3Uw' Rw2 3Uw2 Rw2 3Uw2 Rw 3Uw2 Rw' 3Uw2 Rw)15

And even longer if the sequence that is repeated is shorter!
(3Uw' Rw2 3Uw Rw 3Uw' Rw' 3Uw2 Rw)585

If you happen to know the PLL parity algorithm: 2R2 F2 U2 2R2 U2 F2 2R2

Then if you make the middle move a quarter turn, a very easy alg to remember can be made from it also:
  1. Do the first bit: 2R2 F2 U2 2R U2 F2 2R2

2. Do the move F2: 2R2 F2 U2 2R U2 F2 2R2 (F2)

3. Do the sequence to swap two adjacent centers (like in reduction):
    2R2 F2 U2 2R U2 F2 2R2 (F2)(2L' U2 2L 2R U2 2R')

4. Do the obvious finishing move (F2) and then add two setup moves (the same setup moves as those in first algs listed in this post).
    (Rw' s) 2R2 F2 U2 2R U2 F2 2R2 (F2)(2L' U2 2L 2R U2 2R')(F2) (s' Rw)

But that's all I've got.

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, maybe he doesn't need the fingetricks, but they are still stupidly easy to learn, and you don't have to be fast to use them. All I am saying it is easier to develop better turning habits if he uses Lucas and/or Drew.
Don't you think that it's very possible that he has seen those (since they are all around the internet)? He's clearly looking for an alternative to the well-known algs. They are not what he defines as "easy".

So it's called "Drew" now? How did that come to be?