• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
When it comes to doing the top layer on a 4x4, they say it’s supposed to be the easiest part. Every YouTuber and source online says that you need to “solve it like a 3x3” but the colours on top are completely different than the colours on top of a 4x4. I know what parity is and I know the algorithm. Also, when would I use this parity algorithm?
First of all, use the parity algorithm when you have parity. If you have trouble with parity, there are 2 kinds. OLL parity, and PLL parity. If you have an impossible OLL case, you have parity, in which case you would execute the algorithm for OLL parity. Same for PLL, if you have an impossible case, use PLL parity. J Perm has a great video on 4x4 parity, and also good algs on his website.
Videos:
OLL parity video
PLL parity video
J Perm 4x4 page

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
4x4 LL is just 3x3 LL with larger centres and larger edges. If you run into a case which you don’t know on OLL, ask yourself ‘Is it an odd number of flipped edges that is causing me trouble?’ If so, do OLL parity. If you are on PLL, and get a case you don’t know, ask yourself, ‘Is it an odd number of swaps that is causing me trouble?’ If so, do PLL parity.

David.t252

First of all, use the parity algorithm when you have parity. If you have trouble with parity, there are 2 kinds. OLL parity, and PLL parity. If you have an impossible OLL case, you have parity, in which case you would execute the algorithm for OLL parity. Same for PLL, if you have an impossible case, use PLL parity. J Perm has a great video on 4x4 parity, and also good algs on his website.
Videos:
OLL parity video
PLL parity video
J Perm 4x4 page

Thanks. Also, if you do OLL parity algorithm when you don’t need to, does that mess up the top layer?

Did you solve using redux? If you directly solved layer by layer on 4x4 then the last layer will be quite tricky. Can you send a picture? that will help a ton.

64f8227843b5e3d46cf6508c3f570a3b.jpg

Did you solve using redux? If you directly solved layer by layer on 4x4 then the last layer will be quite tricky. Can you send a picture? that will help a ton.

I used Yau Method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
64f8227843b5e3d46cf6508c3f570a3b.jpg

The problem is that you didn't finish edge pairing. All the edges should be paired up(red/yellow with red/yellow, instead of orange/yellow with yellow/red). If you used Yau, you probably didn't finish 323. Try pairing up those edges, then when you solve it again it will be like a 3x3

David.t252

The problem is that you didn't finish edge pairing. All the edges should be paired up(red/yellow with red/yellow, instead of orange/yellow with yellow/red). If you used Yau, you probably didn't finish 323. Try pairing up those edges, then when you solve it again it will be like a 3x3

Thanks so much guys. Do you guys know if J Perm do edge pairing videos?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Thanks so much guys. Do you guys know if J Perm do edge pairing videos?

He teaches edge pairing in his 4x4 tutorial, just watch that and skip to the edge pairing part. Also, you may have to mess up F2L two pair the edges, don't worry about it just pair all the edges then you can do 3x3 stage

David.t252

Thanks mate

WCA
2017PRAM03
Imagine, for example, if you did:
Uw2 Rw2 U2 Rw2 Rw2 U2 Rw2 Uw2

instead of:
Uw2 Rw2 U2 Rw2 R2 U2 Rw2 Uw2

or something along those lines. I wouldn't know exactly what happened; people can be very creative in doing things wrongly.
1st alg is for PLL parity . Usually starts from 6x6. Second alg is for odd cube edge pairing parity to swap 2 color which is swapped either 2 opposite color or not

1. Swap only UF UB or UF UR
2. Also swap FL FR

So both algs is OK for edge pairing parity.

Last edited:

David.t252

1st alg is for PLL parity . Usually starts from 6x6. Second alg is for odd cube edge pairing parity to swap 2 color which is swapped either 2 opposite color or not

1. Swap only UF UB or UF UR
2. Also swap FL FR

So both algs is OK for edge pairing parity.

Ok thank you