• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Elifire12

I need help making my time better... I use reduction(6 edge pairing method) followed by fridrich F2l then 3look LL.

My average is about 3 mins and i think I've finished reduction at around 1:30-1:45.. the rest is all 3x3x3.. which i think i'll improve on one day..

In my reduction, my centers are very slow... about 30-40 seconds.. :( So i'd like some center solving tips please...

With edges i've been practicing looking forward so that's getting better imo..

So overall I'd like some reduction tips :)

Or if someone wants to suggest I learn a different method that's great...
The only recommendation that I can give you is to learn the YAU method. It is by far the best 4x4 method now days.

Tips for 4x4:
-get a good 4x4 like the Aosu gts 2 or the Valk 4m. if your going budget wise, go for an mf4 (fast but locky) or the Qiyi Qiyuan
-learn Yau. the best 4x4ers use Yau and it is (in my opinion) better than Redux(reduction)
-Look-ahead on 4x4, which is harder than 3x3 because there are more pieces to track.
-tps increase AFTER lookahead. it is important to increase TPS after lookahead because you can't track pieces when starting with a fast tps

and I guess you can look at other threads, I'm still only sub-1:30

Cuber2113

I became sub 1:20 within 2 weeks of doing 4x4. I don't have much experience but I would say, just have some decent turning and look ahead. Try to make an edge pair while making first two centers.

xyzzy

I need help getting sub 1:20 on 4x4. I use yau and I cant get past 1:20 can someone help me.
Why can't you get past 1:20? That's the really important question, and once you figure whatever is holding you back, you can just work on that.

Try filming a few of your own solves and watch them in slow motion (half speed or quarter speed). See how often you pause, and how often you make tiny little mistakes (e.g. missing free edges or centres); these individually don't cost a lot of time, but there are many opportunities for pausing and mistakes to creep in, and that can add up to a lot of wasted time. If you don't notice anything "wrong" with your own solves, you can also upload your videos somewhere and let others (i.e. us) take a look.

Generic advice: (i) always plan first centre fully in inspection; (ii) pay attention to cross edges while finishing the second centre; (iii) you can't turn as fast on big cubes as you do on 3×3, so make use of the easier lookahead here during F2L and LL; (iv) drill your parity algs; (v) learn full PLL if you haven't already (this includes the RU algs for U perms and Z perm).

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Ok so I have had a 4x4 for about 2 weeks and my pb is 1:45. I want to be able to solve this in under a minute and a half. I need tips, new methods, and whatever you think would help me. This thread can be for anyone who wants to get faster at 4x4 as well. Also please vote in the poll, nova WuQue M, Aosu GTS2 M, or Valk 4 M.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Have you learned 3-2-3 edge pairing and half center in the Yau method(I don’t know which method you use, but probably Yau)?
That should be enough for sub 1:30 on their own completely. Additionally, drill your parity algs(OLL especially).

There is already a poll in the Hardware Area about these 4x4’s by @Fukuoka Kengo James :)

C

Cubinwitdapizza

Have you learned 3-2-3 edge pairing and half center in the Yau method(I don’t know which method you use, but probably Yau)?
That should be enough for sub 1:30 on their own completely. Additionally, drill your parity algs(OLL especially).

There is already a poll in the Hardware Area about these 4x4’s by @Fukuoka Kengo James :)
I have learned 3-2-3 not half centers and I DRILL oll parity.

Also, what do you average on 4x4?

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
3-2-3 vs. 6-2 edge pairing for 4x4
What is the general consensus on which method you should use and why? Just by the name, it sounds like 6-2 would be better but there are very few tutorials on it.

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's the deal: I've recently started practicing 4x4 but I would like to get faster. I'm sub-13 on 3x3 but my 4x4 average is in the low-50s on a good day and I feel like I should be a lot faster at 4x4 than I am. I use Yau of course. Below are the time splits for each step:
F2C: sub-5
First 3 Cross Edges: sub-8
L4C (Half Centers): 8 to 8.5
Last Cross Edge: sub-3
3-2-3 Edges: about 11 (I know a bunch of algs for L2E)
And 3x3 Stage: about 16
My OLL Parity is like sub-3
My PLL Parity is sub-2 (counting the regrip before the alg)

What should I be working on the most? Also, let me know if you want to see me do a couple example solves. Not sure how helpful that would be. Thanks in advance!

jakelevine

WCA
2009LEVI01
I'm sub 50 with no l2e algs - my opinion is that f2c should be like, 3 seconds tops. First center should be completely planned during inspection so it should be less than 1 second or so.

Also first 3 edges need work. This is the part that got me the most reward to getting sub 50.

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sub 50 with no l2e algs - my opinion is that f2c should be like, 3 seconds tops. First center should be completely planned during inspection so it should be less than 1 second or so.

Also first 3 edges need work. This is the part that got me the most reward to getting sub 50.

That's about what my F2C are. I agree that my F3E need the most work. Do you think my 3-2-3 is ok? Thanks for the response btw

Edit: Not what my F2C are by time. But I have my whole first center planned and I track at least 2 pieces of second center and preserve bars when I have them

OrdinaryChaos

I've been playing with my 4x4 for almost a year now and have pretty much figured it out including the OLL and PLL parities... but something strange has happened - I have ONE corner that is in the right place but not properly oriented, and I don't see this anywhere as a known parity. I've tried randomly scrambling dozens of times and cannot get it to solve! Help!

Note: attached images show the fully solved cube with the one corner not oriented; I took two pictures, one from each side to show it's fully solved otherwise.

Attachments

• 4x4 Single Parity B.png
    4x4 Single Parity B.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 4x4 Single Parity A.png
    4x4 Single Parity A.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 4

Iwannaganx

I've been playing with my 4x4 for almost a year now and have pretty much figured it out including the OLL and PLL parities... but something strange has happened - I have ONE corner that is in the right place but not properly oriented, and I don't see this anywhere as a known parity. I've tried randomly scrambling dozens of times and cannot get it to solve! Help!

Note: attached images show the fully solved cube with the one corner not oriented; I took two pictures, one from each side to show it's fully solved otherwise.
If it's only that corner and it's happened multiple times, it's an impossible case. You have to either twist the corner back or take a few pieces out to twist the corner back.