• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
From the pictures you have there, one of the corners has been twisted in place. If the cube is still in the state of the photos shown there, if you can twist the corner on the yellow side with the red on top so that yellow is on top (so that that particular cubie is solved), the remaining two corners should be able to be solved normally.

It will depend on what type of cube you have as to how hard it will be to twist the corner. With most modern 4x4x4s, it is not too difficult to simply twist the corner in place - it requires a bit of force but it can be done. With some older 4x4x4s, you might have to take some other pieces out of the cube (the edges next to it) in order to twist the corner. Be careful not to put too much force on it; it is certainly possible to break a corner cubie that way - I have done it before on one of my 4x4x4s.

Hi! I need help with the 4x4x4. My average is 1:40 minutes. I use the Yau method but I first do all centers and after that, I start cross edges and 3-2-3 edge pairing. My centers are taking 20 seconds, the edge pairing 50 seconds and the 3x3x3 step + parity 30 seconds on average. How could I get faster? My goal is a sub 1:20 average.

I use the Yau method but I first do all centers and after that, I start cross edges
This is like the worst of both worlds in combining Yau with reduction, so stop doing this. (I just did a bunch of solves to check, and I got a 51 average with Yau, 57 with redux, and 1:01 with this hybrid method.)

Beyond that, just practise a lot.

I have learnt the yau method ,which has helped me become sub-1:40 in 3 days.I want to know the breakdown for sub-1 solves.Pls tell me where should I work hard.
SOLVE BREAKDOWN:
9 secs(first 2 centers)
12 secs(cross edges)
15 secs(last 4 centers)
25 secs(edges)I use 3-2-3.
33 secs(3×3 stage).
CUBE: Qiyi Qizheng
Please help.

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
DGCubes
I have learnt the yau method ,which has helped me become sub-1:40 in 3 days.I want to know the breakdown for sub-1 solves.Pls tell me where should I work hard.
SOLVE BREAKDOWN:
9 secs(first 2 centers)
12 secs(cross edges)
15 secs(last 4 centers)
25 secs(edges)I use 3-2-3.
33 secs(3×3 stage).
CUBE: Qiyi Qizheng
Please help.
Work on transitioning from your first two centers to your cross edges; this will help with overall lookahead and also speed up your cross edges to at least get them sub-10.
3-2-3 is really fast and powerful when done well, so I'd say to work on your lookahead during that step. Try to do it with little to no pauses! I'd work on getting this sub-15.
Like @Sergey mentioned above, you should absolutely practice 3x3 more; not sure what you average normally on 3x3, but you should definitely try to get this step sub-20. (Maybe practice doing parity algorithms faster too?)

Once you've done those two things, practice alone should get your other steps fast enough to be sub-1. Although, keep in mind that this will require a lot of work! It's better to set smaller, more achievable goals for yourself so you don't get discouraged. (Maybe focus on getting sub-1:30 first?)

Work on transitioning from your first two centers to your cross edges; this will help with overall lookahead and also speed up your cross edges to at least get them sub-10.
3-2-3 is really fast and powerful when done well, so I'd say to work on your lookahead during that step. Try to do it with little to no pauses! I'd work on getting this sub-15.
Like @Sergey mentioned above, you should absolutely practice 3x3 more; not sure what you average normally on 3x3, but you should definitely try to get this step sub-20. (Maybe practice doing parity algorithms faster too?)

Once you've done those two things, practice alone should get your other steps fast enough to be sub-1. Although, keep in mind that this will require a lot of work! It's better to set smaller, more achievable goals for yourself so you don't get discouraged. (Maybe focus on getting sub-1:30 first?)
Thanks for the advice!
Will surely look into it!
;)

I avg 19 secs on 3×3.
I suppose practising 3×3 on 4×4 should drop my 3×3 stage times?

Last edited by a moderator:
I trying to solve 4x4 without making pairs like reduction method which everyone use. Im solving one piece at the time and one layer at the time...And i get stuck at OLL I can't orient last two pieces as you can see on pic. So is there any alg that can orient them?
IMG_20190224_123447-min.jpg