• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

yoshinator

WCA
2011HUTN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, haven't posted here in a long ass time. Anyway why am I still seeing people solve and put their first 3 cross edges in their correct places? If you do this, then after you've finished the centers you're going to have to make the 4th cross piece, take it out and place it in the opposite layer, then finish the centers, then finally place the 4th cross piece.

This is RIDICULOUS. I've been telling people for years a more efficient way to make the cross but I still see even pro speedcubers not do it.

When making the 3 cross pieces, place 1 cross piece in the incorrect place. Then when you've finished centers, make the 4th cross piece. Place it in the cross layer with just 3-4 moves. Then you immediately start solving the rest of the edges. It's that easy. Stop wasting time and moves and stop pissing me off. Peace.

(I know this post is from a few days ago)

So, you, as a 60 second solver, are asserting that you have more authority then nearly every sub-35 and sub-40 Yau solver? Me, Kevin Costello, Faz, Sebastien, Mats, and even rob Yau himself place the cross edges correctly initially. You think you you have more authority than all of us? Really?

If you think something, say that, don't act asif you know god's truth, or are absolutely certainly correct about what you are saying, it makes you look like a jerk.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Hi, haven't posted here in a long ass time. Anyway why am I still seeing people solve and put their first 3 cross edges in their correct places? If you do this, then after you've finished the centers you're going to have to make the 4th cross piece, take it out and place it in the opposite layer, then finish the centers, then finally place the 4th cross piece.

This isn't even true. Alg to give the idea (invert to setup): r U R' U' r' U

0/10 terrible troll

I will point out that for 5x5+, I do place the 3rd cross edge incorrectly. But not for 4x4.

maps600

WCA
2013HELM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehe does anyone here use the Meyer method? If so, do you think it's better to pair edges "Yau-style" (on E) or on "M"? I think that pairing on E gives the potential to look ahead more easily. However, it gets annoying because of the triple U moves needed (instead of rotations) to preserve the block. M or E? Help would be much appreciated.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I am new to 4x4. How do I solve OLL and PLL? What algs do have to I use?Normal 3x3 ones? If so then how can I recognize 4X4 OLL/PLL? What about parity?

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am new to 4x4. How do I solve OLL and PLL? What algs do have to I use?Normal 3x3 ones? If so then how can I recognize 4X4 OLL/PLL? What about parity?
OLL and PLL can be done normally, just like 3x3. OLL parity is when there are 1 or 3 oriented edges instead of the usual 0, 2 or 4. PLL parity is when you get an impossible PLL case. If you still use 2-look PLL, then you should do CPLL normally, but you will be left with an impossible EPLL.

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01

The same as 3x3, plus parity algorithms.

The double edges on the 4x4 are equivalent to 3x3 single edges if you turn only the outer layer. So once parity is completed you solve it absolutely normally. Recognition is slightly slower because it looks a bit different until you get used to it.

K4 (Kirjava 4x4x4) vs Yau

Why do people tend so much towards the two main methods in 4x4 solving, (redux and yau) more significantly than they tend towards CFOP in 3x3 solving? Personally, I feel that given proper study, the K4 method can be just as fast as the yau method, but currently is a bit neglected by people. K4 has been proven to achieve sub 50 times at least, and I don't see why, with the help of more interest from the community, could become more developed, perhaps with additional alg sets, mods or techniques, for example a technique similar to edge control on a 3x3 where on a 4x4, you use the F3L stage to help complete ELL.
I don't know really what already exists, but I have personally chosen to learn K4 over yau, mainly to champion the underdog of 4x4 methods and to try something different.

For resources on K4, see:

- An excellent pdf for refernce: http://www.kungfoomanchu.com/guides/k4.pdf
- The website of the method: http://snk.digibase.ca/k4/

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
OLL and PLL can be done normally, just like 3x3. OLL parity is when there are 1 or 3 oriented edges instead of the usual 0, 2 or 4. PLL parity is when you get an impossible PLL case. If you still use 2-look PLL, then you should do CPLL normally, but you will be left with an impossible EPLL.
What do you mean by impossible PLL? Do I need full PLL to solve a 4x4. Can anybody just post a video on 4X4 LL. I'mm trying to solves but am stuck.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you mean by impossible PLL? Do I need full PLL to solve a 4x4. Can anybody just post a video on 4X4 LL. I'mm trying to solves but am stuck.

First solve your corners. Then, look at the edges. Solve them until you have a solved cube OR you are left with two edges. If you have two swapped edges left and nothing else, then you have parity.

Future Cuber

He means that a plls that occurs with a parity will appear out of the 21 plls
no you can solve the 4x4 EVEN with LBL
See what i do is randomly solve with any pll....and when i get most of the pieces in their correct position, i identify the type of parity & IT WILL BE ONLY THE OPP. OR ADJ. EDGE SWAP
and solve the cube with the parity alg

Check ... if all the corners are permuted and you see one of the EPLLs with a parity, solve that case as you normally would and then solve the parity case
Hope this helped
goodluck :tu

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01

If you treat 4x4 double edges as single 3x3 edges, some of the PLL possibilities that can occur can't be solved with only outer layer moves. This is because on a 3x3 you cannot swap just two edges but on a 4x4, you can swap two double edges. So if your PLL isn't one of the 21 3x3 PLLs, you execute the PLL parity algorithm, and then there is a 3x3-solvable PLL.

If you have more questions please post an example, we can't explain this so well with words.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
If you treat 4x4 double edges as single 3x3 edges, some of the PLL possibilities that can occur can't be solved with only outer layer moves. This is because on a 3x3 you cannot swap just two edges but on a 4x4, you can swap two double edges. So if your PLL isn't one of the 21 3x3 PLLs, you execute the PLL parity algorithm, and then there is a 3x3-solvable PLL.

If you have more questions please post an example, we can't explain this so well with words.
Could I upload a photo? Here it is.OLL.JPG:confused::confused:

Last edited: