• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 algorithm

Feanaro

WCA
2008PHEL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anybody know an algorithm that will swap only two pieces on a 4x4? For example, on a solved american colour scheme cube it would be like swapping a blue yellow piece and a green white piece on the same slice. Thanks for your help.

Johannes91

r U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' U2 l U2 r2

Lower case means inner slice only. That swaps UFl and UBl (and also some centers, but I hope that doesn't matter).

MistArts

Does anyone also know a move that will swap two face pieces on a 4x4 without messing up any other faces?

Do you mean Centers? Just set up for a 3-cycle. Like:

Lower case = slice

r l F' l b2 l' F l b2 l2 r'

A

andrewvo1324

nevermind he was banned already. *talks about the spammer 2 posts aobve me*

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think he meant two whole centres?
No I meant two individual center pieces. Is is possible to only swap two?

Yeah, practically during a solve use a 3-cycle to appear to swap 2 pieces.

You can actually swap just two centers on a 4x4, but you must also swap two corners to do so. On a 4x4x4 supercube the parity of the corners *must* match the parity of the x-centers.

Chris

blah

brah
@Chris: I don't quite get what you mean, does this mean that on a 4x4x4 supercube, the edges, centers and corners are not 'independent'? i.e. there's a possibility/probability that each 'piece type' cannot be solved by cycling 'within' itself?

Also, if there's an alg that swaps 2 center pieces and 2 corners, wouldn't it be more move-efficient to use this alg rather than solving the centers and corners independently? (which I think most people do, at least that's what I do...)

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
On a normal cube, center can interchange if they are the same color. So you can do like you permute two center using a third of the same color and cycing 3.

It is the practical side of the thing (Sorry, i think i'm not very clear, but i'm not a native english speaker and i find this idea difficult to explain with my vocabulary).

Mathematicaly :

On a 333, when you rotate a face, you permute 4 corner and 4 edges. cycling pieces 3 by 3, you end with 2 corner and 2 edges to permute. On a megaminx, as you cycle 5 edges and 5 corner, you can't have parity ;)

On a 444/555, it's more complexe because you have two type of moves : a slice move and a face move. I will deal with 444, the idea is the same for 555.

A face move cycle 2*4 wing, 4 centers and 4 corners. A slice move 2*4 centers and 4 wings. The important thing is in the 2*4.

You can solve 2*4 cycle of the same type of pieces using standard 3-cycles. So a slice move generate a parity on wing and a face move generate a parity on corner and a parity on center.