• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4PB - An efficient, ergonomic, algorithmic, APB based 4x4 method

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here I am presenting a new method for solving a 4x4.. 4PB (4x4 APB) can be considered as application of ABP on 4x4. The primary steps are :
Step 1 : Solve 2 opposite centres (if you are not colour neutral these have to be white and yellow)
Step 2 : Pair up and attach 2 cross coloured edges to the cross centre relative to each other and place in the BL and DL positions
Step 3 : Solve the rest of the centres using <rRUF> move set
Step 4 : Solve a 222 block by using the already paired up cross edges.
How to solve a 222 -
i) Pair up the edges that go between the 2 centres to which the 2 cross pieces are solved.
ii) Connect the paired up edges with the corresponding corner that makes a F2L pair.
iii) Solve the F2L pair to complete a 222
Step 5 : Extend it to a 223.
i) Pair up and solve any one of the remaining 2 cross edges.
ii) Use Step 4's i, ii and iii steps to extend it to a 223.
Step 7 : Edge pairing. Pair up edges while connecting 1 F2L pair (Look at example solves)
Step 8 : From here the rest of the cubes can be solved with just algorithms just like the APB method (with parity of course)

The total average movecount considering OLL and PLL parity is ~130 STM, since this method is mostly based on blockbuilding. This average movecount is actually equal to the Triforce's average movecount, even with OLL parity.
In comparison to Yau (the most common 4x4 speedsolving method):

4PB has a lower movecount than Yau. It's edge pairing ergonomics are better. Arriving at 3x3 stage. in 4PB most of the cube is solved leading to better look ahead.
It has a higher TPS compared to Yau Since every step after arriving at the 3x3 stage is only algorithms.

PROS
More efficient than most speed solving methods.
Can get singles which have a really low movecount (<120 STM)
More Ergonomic and algorithmic compared to most of the other methods
Since the F layer is free during Last 4 Centres, Centre pairing will be more efficient
CONS
Requires a pause before starting 3x3 stage to recognise EO (but this can sometimes be look ahead to while pairing up edges)

Here are some example solves
120 STM (118 STM with cancellations)
135 STM(134 STM with cancellations)
122 STM (without any cancellations)
135 STM (without any cancellations)
136 STM (without cancellations and double parity)
133 STM (without any cancellations)
118 STM (116 with cancellations. WTF)
118 STM (117 with cancellations. Lol)

Last edited:
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Very cool method, I'll definitely consider switching to this when I start using APB for 3x3. The only problem I have is that lookahead right after centers is pretty bad but that could be improved with practice.

One proposal I have is to build the pair for the 222 before finishing centers this way you get even more freedom without hindering any other steps.

Edit: I would be very surprised if this hasn't been proposed before given its simplicity. It shares some characteristics with 4trus (which makes sense) yet it is definitely different enough to be a unique method.

Last edited:

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here I am presenting a new method for solving a 4x4.. 4PB (4x4 APB) can be considered as application of ABP on 4x4. The primary steps are :
Step 1 : Solve 2 opposite centres (if you are not colour neutral these have to be white and yellow)
Step 2 : Pair up and attach 2 cross coloured edges to the cross centre relative to each other and place in the BL and DL positions
How to solve a 222 -
i) Pair up the edges that go between the 2 centres to which the 2 cross pieces are solved.
ii) Connect the paired up edges with the corresponding corner that makes a F2L pair.
Step 7 : Edge pairing. Pair up edges while connecting 1 F2L pair (Look at example solves)
Step 8 : From here the rest of the cubes can be solved with just algorithms just like the APB method (with parity of course)

The total average movecount considering OLL and PLL parity is ~140 STM, since this method is mostly based on blockbuilding.

4PB has a lower movecount than Yau. It's edge pairing ergonomics are better. Arriving at 3x3 stage. in 4PB most of the cube is solved leading to better look ahead.
It has a higher TPS compared to Yau Since every step after arriving at the 3x3 stage is only algorithms.

PROS
Since the F layer is free during Last 4 Centres, Centre pairing will be more efficient
CONS
Requires a pause before starting 3x3 stage to recognise EO (but this can sometimes be look ahead to while pairing up edges)

Just a note : This can be used for any variant of petrus

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to solve a 222 -

The total average movecount considering OLL and PLL parity is ~140 STM, since this method is mostly based on blockbuilding.

PROS
CONS

Cool method, I will try it out if you have videos of slow solves and fast solves using this method.

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool method, I will try it out if you have videos of slow solves and fast solves using this method.
I didn't take a video yet. I will do a video of an Ao5 soon. I currently average sub 1:20 with a trash cube with garbage corner cutting and no magnets and no lube. So ig this method is some what good. But as I said I will do an Ao5 soon.

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
How to solve a 222 -

The total average movecount considering OLL and PLL parity is ~135 STM, since this method is mostly based on blockbuilding.

PROS
CONS

135 STM (without any cancellations)
136 STM (without cancellations and double parity)
I edited this post and changed the average movecount to ~135 STM. Because whenever I try an example solve it is always around 135 STM.

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
But wouldn't there be double the number of EOPair cases because of parity? Doing EOPair+parity isn't always the most efficient thing imo.
Actually if there are odd number of oriented edges. You can just exclude one of them and consider the rest as EOpair cases. Then L3P and when you arrive at LL you can do OLL parity and then ZBLL (and if PLL parity if there is one)

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Generated By csTimer on 2021-12-20
single: 59.73

Time List:
1. 59.73 U L2 D2 L2 D2 B2 L2 D' L2 U L U F D2 L' F U L2 U B Rw2 U R2 F' Rw2 U' F2 Rw2 U Fw2 F' D Rw' D Rw2 U' R U2 Fw Uw' F' Rw R Uw B'
First ever sub-1 with 4PB

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
After messing around with this method for over a week I don't think it has potential. Lookahead is awful, Edge pairing is worse, there just aren't enough advantages to outweigh the cons. It's not proven to be good like Yau and it doesn't have as much potential as Triforce and K4 (I don't consider Hoya good for 4x4 and I don't think anyone claims that Meyer is the best.)

IMO, Yau with 6-2 pairing> Triforce=Yau>K4=Meyer>Redux>Hoya>4PB

Last edited:

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
After messing around with this method for over a week I don't think it has potential. Lookahead is awful, Edge pairing is worse, there just aren't enough advantages to outweigh the cons. It's not proven to be good like Yau and it doesn't have as much potential as Triforce and K4 (I don't consider Hoya good for 4x4 and I don't think anyone claims that Meyer is the best.)

IMO, Yau with 6-2 pairing> Triforce=Yau>K4=Meyer>Redux>Hoya>4PB
You actually need to work on lookahead. For example, If you just learnt 4x4, do you think your look ahead will be instantly good within a week? I average faster than Yau with this method. Edge pairing isn't worse, You just have to get used to a new way of edge pairing which is not similar to Yau.

V Achyuthan

WCA
2022SUND04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright this might sound fake (mostly because it was not on cam) but I just dropped my PB single by 20 seconds with 4PB. I basically dropped from 59.73 all the way to 39.99. This solve had a ridiculously low movecount and just 2.60 TPS.
Scramble - B' L D2 F' R' U' D2 F' R2 B2 R2 U2 L2 D2 F' R2 B' R2 D' L Fw2 Uw2 B L F' D2 Rw2 F D2 F2 Rw2 L F2 Uw' R2 F Uw L2 Rw Fw2 F2 Uw2 Rw' Fw

x2 y U' r' u' U r' L' 2U2 f U2 f' // F2C
B' L u R' u 3u2 F // 2 edges
z x' r U 3r2 U 2L' U2 2L 3r' U r' U r' U' r' U' r' U' r 3r' // Centres
z' y' 2U' L' U' L u U F' L2 F L2 // 222
U2 R u R U R' u' R2 U F2 R' U' R // 223
y' R' U R U' R' u' R' U' R u2 R U R' u' y L' U' L u L F' L' F L' U L 2U' // Partial EO edge pairing (turned out to be EOedge pairing)
F2 U R U R' // Complete F2L
m' U' m B L' B' L U L U' 3l' U m U' // ZBLL
104 STM/39.99 = 2.60 TPS

I wish I recorded it. But my dad took my phone away and both my parents won't give me their phones and this damn laptop doesn't have webcam in it. So does this prove that with this method there is possibility to get really low movecounts? Let me know.

Edit : 3x3 stage was not APB lol. I just built a 122 and last pair was set up. And the last step was just ZBLL.