• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

xyzzy

copied off critcal cubing guide to being sub 10
Are you trying to be funny?

Over the past few weeks my times have been going up. I’ve been using the same method and same cube (about to switch) but my times have been going up from sub-25 to sub-30. What should I do? (I use CFOP and my main is a little magic m)
There are a million possible reasons why this could have happened, and it's impossible to divine which of them are applicable to you. When you say you were "sub-25" and now you're "sub-30", what specifically do you mean by that? Were you doing daily ao50s, or what? What times were you getting?

Without knowing specifics, my generic advice is to take a break from cubing and do something else for a while. Being frustrated makes practice sessions significantly less useful (unless you have the kind of discipline that professional gamblers have, and you probably don't).

Hi guys! OK, I am struggling on being sub 20.

Algs I know:

Full OLL and Full PLL

and

A very large handful of F2L algorithms.

I got the last layer algorithms from Cubeskills and the F2L algs from J Perm (Youtuber)

I also practice a lot.
If some could tell me how long each step of CFOP should take that would be helpful.

Apart from looking ahead could someone give me some tips?

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do some reconstructions of your solves so you can figure out how efficient you are at your solves. Are you doing 80 turns? 40 turns? That makes a huge difference. Also what is your TPS?

If your TPS is 5 then all you need is for your solution to take 100 turns or less to be sub 20. And 100 turns is terrible.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Hi guys! OK, I am struggling on being sub 20.

Algs I know:

Full OLL and Full PLL

and

A very large handful of F2L algorithms.

I got the last layer algorithms from Cubeskills and the F2L algs from J Perm (Youtuber)

I also practice a lot.
If some could tell me how long each step of CFOP should take that would be helpful.

Apart from looking ahead could someone give me some tips?
No. At this stage all you really need is to drill your f2l solutions and lookahead. I’m sorry, if you know all of those algs I wouldn’t really be able to recommend anything else.

AegisSharp

Taken from here: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...aining-that-yields-systematic-progress.39406/
Ideal splits: cross 12%, F2L (inc cross) 62%, OLL 16.5% (inc recog and AUF), PLL 21.5% (inc recognition and AUF)
So for averaging 20 your splits should be:
cross - 2.4s
f2l(excluding cross) - 10s
oll - 3.3s
pll - 4.3
So time your splits on cstimer, and if any part is way off from those splits then focus on that part, otherwise just work on your solve overall

Do some reconstructions of your solves so you can figure out how efficient you are at your solves. Are you doing 80 turns? 40 turns? That makes a huge difference. Also what is your TPS?

If your TPS is 5 then all you need is for your solution to take 100 turns or less to be sub 20. And 100 turns is terrible.
The thing is my tablet broke because I did that.

Lvl9001Wizard

Asking this here cuz barely got responses on reddit.

It took me about 600 solves in the span of 3 weeks for my ao100 to drop from mid 22 ish to sub 20. However about half of those solves were in the past week (was spreading out time to practice other events)

Is this rate of improvement slow? Lol

FYI I'm using CFOP 2LLL. Started 7 months ago on online simulators but got my first cube 5 months ago.

xyzzy

Asking this here cuz barely got responses on reddit.

It took me about 600 solves in the span of 3 weeks for my ao100 to drop from mid 22 ish to sub 20. However about half of those solves were in the past week (was spreading out time to practice other events)

Is this rate of improvement slow? Lol

FYI I'm using CFOP 2LLL. Started 7 months ago on online simulators but got my first cube 5 months ago.
That seems like a pretty solid improvement rate, actually. At around the 20-second mark, it seems that a lot of people take roughly 1-3 months to drop 1 second from their global average. Some people improve a lot faster, some people improve slower, and some people get stuck at/above 20 seconds.

Lvl9001Wizard

That seems like a pretty solid improvement rate, actually. At around the 20-second mark, it seems that a lot of people take roughly 1-3 months to drop 1 second from their global average. Some people improve a lot faster, some people improve slower, and some people get stuck at/above 20 seconds.

Hmm I guess I'll have to see how long it takes for me to drop to 19, 18 etc.

Also by any chance does anyone know what the average time is for a person who cubes for exactly one year?

Mwaha

Hello guys...

I started cubing 9 months ago. I recently became sub 20 and I average about 18~19 sec. Also yesterday, I got my pb single of 12.64 and pb ao5 of 16.23.

The problem is I am still using 4lll (almost 3lll). I have to memorize pll g perms and all of oll. But currently I don't have much time for cubing.

So my questions are "when should I start to learn oll in terms of sub X?" and "Does memorizing oll significantly affect your time?"

Also how is my improvement compared to average cubers? I heard many of them become sub 15 within a year... :'(

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
To be honest learn it whenever you want I don't really like people saying you have to be sub-x to learn something, just try to make sure to use correct finger tricks when learning algs.
Start learning OLL right now and try to do like 1 set a week you'll be finished in no time.
Good times are subjective improve at your own pace and just try to have fun pushing your own limits

cuber-26

WCA
2017SHIT02
I started to play cubes in 2017, and my 3*3's average of 100 is about 10.7. It stayed for too long that I feel it is difficult to improve more. I just want to get sub-10 in a quicker time. What kind of algs should I learn? Are there any skiils about look-ahead or get better on F2Ls? Could you please give me some advice?
(I learned all of the CFOP algs and a bit WV, COLL.)
(If you can't understand my English, I'm sorry about that because I'm not quite good at English and I hardly ever send English passages.)

cuber-26

WCA
2017SHIT02