• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3D loopover

brododragon

My idea is to get a hollow metal ball and 3D Print pieces of a sphere. You would assemble it around the ball. This would have the same turning idea as loopover.

Ben Whitmore

Loopover is a torus, not a sphere, and you'd have trouble building a physical version because the inner radius and outer radius are different, which would mean that some pieces would have to be different sizes and you wouldn't be able to do moves along one of the axes.

xyzzy

But a torus is a ring.
… Which is not a sphere, yes.

There have been quite a few puzzles where tiles can be moved in a loop:
(and a whole bunch more; you can see the whole list on Jaap's Puzzle Page)

However, these don't have the topology of the standard Loopover game (which is a torus), and it's simply not possible to embed a torus into a sphere. (A sphere's sides do "wrap around", but they wrap around in a different and incompatible way from how the torus's sides "wrap around".)

erictom333

I have an idea for how to make a physical version of Loopover. Make a torus with 5 rings that rotate in the toroidal direction, make 5 grooves running in the poloidal direction where pieces can slide, and add in the pieces.

erictom333

anyway, here's what my design for a 3D Loopover would look like. The poloidal rings of colored tiles rotate in the poloidal direction, and the toroidal rings (here pentagonal, but they should be circular) rotate in the toroidal direction.
looooopover.png

WCA
2023COUN02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

erictom333

The V-Sphere is a good starting place. You just remove the z-axis of turnability and it could theoretically work.
As already mentioned in this thread, Loopover is toroidal, not spherical, so that won't work. Also I don't think you even could make a V-Sphere with 3 or more layers per axis.
<snip> 15 puzzle cube </snip>
Not relevant, sorry.